Troubleshooting and reviving an electric motor

Yeah, unless we can locate a bad connection or other simple fix it may be new motor time...
If it's a short deep in the windings I think we're pretty much hosed, but you never know
Mark

You could have a bad run winding. check that winding for continuity.

could be bad contacts on the centrifugal switch if it has one. with the spin test, can you wrap some string round the shaft and pull it to see if it does pick up and run. If it does run ok, and will run in either direction by giving it a spin in that direction, the fault lies in the start circuit, You are going to have to strip it down to fix the centrifugal switch.

Ugh, I had the time to checked the windings last night with my ohm meter and sure enough one of the two failed the continuity test.

Thanks to the community for all the prompt help in diagnosing the motor. Although I am not happy to know that the winding is messed up, I am happy to know what the issue is and to be able to move forward.

Unless you all have some good advise on how to further diagnose or fix it, I guess I am off to different task...finding a replacement CCW 1hp motor that works in my budget.

Hi Brain, your only hope is that maybe there's a splice in there that might be flakey- usually where the factory attaches lead-in wires to the windings.
You might start investigating there. Connect your ohmmeter and start wiggling and pushing on things while watching the meter. You might get lucky.
This is easier with an old style needle type meter; easier to see when it jumps. Or a battery and light bulb continuity tester. Good luck.
Mark

Last edited:
Back