Truck Toolbox

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Finally have a little time to catch-up on a pet project. I've wanted/needed a truck toolbox and slapped this together today. I'll finish it tomorrow if I can find some piano hinges. It's all made of 1/8" aluminum left-overs from other projects. The two pieces of diamond back on the sides were used in desperation as I didn't have a piece long enough. Everybody around the house says it looks good this way. The lining of the truck has many contours so measuring this out for size took a little time. Each end is sitting on a stepped ledge and there are tie-down rails at the top which should secure it pretty well. Measure twice, cut once... it fit like a glove.

I'm still deciding which way I want the lid to open; front to back, back to front or possibly two lids opening toward the center. A lid that opens front-to-back would make it much harder to pry open. ...maybe I'm over thinking the security issue... Maybe I'll put some low height compartments in there too. Any thoughts on these things?

I know someone who makes canvas wind sails and he's going to make a tonneau for me with nifty little swivel grommet buttons instead of snap buttons. I'm hoping we can trade some work and make a deal.

I'll show pics when it's done.

TB1.JPGTB2.JPG

Ray

TB1.JPG TB2.JPG

But wont all your tools just fall out the bottom.................
;)

Cheers Phil

I'm still deciding which way I want the lid to open; front to back, back to front or possibly two lids opening toward the center. A lid that opens front-to-back would make it much harder to pry open. ...maybe I'm over thinking the security issue... Maybe I'll put some low height compartments in there too. Any thoughts on these things?

Ray
Hey Ray. I'm glad to see that your doing a fun project , instead of crawling between the hull and an inboard! If it was my toolbox, I would make it what works best that I can for ME, without much regard for the thieves. If they want to rob you, they're gonna, no matter what you do. But, you'll be reaching into that box everyday, so make it convenient for yourself. The time and aggravation you'll save yourself making it right for you will far outweigh the off chance that a thief might get your stuff. A good heavy padlock should deter most would be thieves. I would make 2 doors, accessible from either side and hinged at the center, like gull wing doors, for descriptive purposes.

I had a box once that had a 3" deep, or so, tray that sat on rails that went across the length of the box. It was very handy for all the small stuff. Make it 1/2 the width, left to right, so that you can slide it to the other side if you need to get something in the box under it. I never had a problem with mine sliding when I went around corners because of the friction between the tray and the rails, but you could put a spring loaded pin and a hole in the rail to lock it in, if you so choose. That tray was the bomb.

Marcel

for thoughts, Ray I like the type that opens side to side, notherwords two doors, and a sliding top tray. And then on another truck I have has
the single top that has the common two latches that are always getting stuck. (I'm going to cut one latch off and use one)
sam

A sign «Please don't feed the rattlesnakes inside this box» would offer you some added dissuasion :biggrin:
An excellent job, Ray, as usual with you!
Be prepared to build many others…

Back