[4]

Truck vs truck...

• Thread starter Deleted member 43972
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Again, not a classic truck question. There's no forum for general vehicle questions.

(I did the math to convert all metric and CAD to imperial and USD)

I bought a 2014 Chevy 1500 new from the factory in Nov '13. My financing is coming to an end soon and I'm starting to wonder about trading in.
Tow package, ecotec (or whatever gm calls their economy engine that goes from V8 to v4 when conditions permit.)
The gas milage was pretty good, actually... When I didn't have the contractor cap on it. It would spend most of its cruising time in v4 usually around 18-19 mpg, my recorded best is 21.2mpg.
However, with the cap on it, my average per 60km is 12mpg. That's pretty dismal for an engine like this. Because of the added weight and aerodynamic drag it almost always stays in V8.
15224994819708658418047693903001.jpg

Even worse when I have the ladders loaded up top, which I often have stored up there. Recently took them off because I hadn't used them all winter. But the first job we do up high the ladders will probably go back up to stay for the summer.

Questions...

Ive always wanted a diesel for its higher milage capabilities. The initial cost is pretty heart breaking, but with the ability to trade in, which I didn't have when I bought this truck, that softens the blow fairly significantly.

My old boss bought the dodges EcoDiesel a few years ago. I was floored when I saw his AVERAGE was 22 mpg. That's higher than my best. And he uses his for work. His daily driver. (we put a LOT of miles on our trucks...) (From Nov '13 I'm at 99,141 miles.)

I'm considering that truck. The reason being, due to gas prices (filled up at $3.80/gal this morning), and the truck just drinking fuel because of the cap. We have a 2 ton dump trailer that easily pushes my gross vehicle weight right up to 10,000 lbs, that I periodically drag around. The truck handles it great, but it's really pushing the upper limits of, well, everything. I know the 1500 EcoDiesel has similar tow capacity.

So, what it's going to come down to is gas milage with the cap on it.
I do not know how the EcoDiesel acts with the added wind drag and constant weight. Does it perform the same as the Chevy staying in V8?

Any opinions or actual knowledge is appreciated.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I don't know about up there, but in southern Wisconsin, diesel can run between 15 and 30% more per gallon than regular gasoline. That pretty much eats up any increase in fuel economy.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Diesel is almost always cheaper than gas locally. It spent some time higher than gas two or three summers ago when gas went nuts and diesel stayed low until they jacked diesel up late in the summer because people were buying used diesels to get away from gas prices. Gas hit $1.50/L (average esrly summer was $1.10/L) diesel was $.99/L until late summer when it took off higher than gas.

Right now, gas is $1.29-1.35, diesel is $1.18-1.25.
Its consistently cheaper than gas.

But my understanding is you burn less diesel than gas?

Asm109

Registered
Registered
Factor in oil changes too. Diesels usually hold several Gallons of oil not 5 quarts.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Mine 8. About $120 an oil change for synthetic. I do it myself. Shop rate is usually $130.

gzoerner

Registered
Registered
Shawn,

My experience is with Ford F-250 diesels. I had a 2005 6.0L diesel that towed well with just modest fuel mileage. It got about 10 mpg towing a 9,000 lb. fifth-wheel. We put about 45,000 miles on that trailer. I sold it in 2015 with 88,000 miles and got back 1/2 of what I originally paid. I was satisfied. The replacement truck is a 2015 F-250 long bed with the 6.7L diesel. It tows like a beast; it hardly downshifts from 6th gear. With a 3.31 differential, the engine turns 1450 rpm at 60 mph. With the fifth-wheel hooked up I get between 12-13 mpg. Without the trailer it gets about 21-22 mpg at 70 mph. I couldn't be more satisfied. The only problem with the long bed is that the turning radius is about 1/4 mile. It's bad in parking lots.
Glen

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What I'm mainly looking for is if anyone here has an EcoDiesel and has experience with its various gas milage, with carrying a light-medium load to compare to my truck.

dlane

Active User
I believe ecodiesel’s are Italian made either in line or v6 , there are forums on the net with info on them.
I’ll stick with a proven Cummins turbo diesel

I have a 2003 3500 dodge 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel 6spd single rear wheels with a cap on top. Empty at hiway speed I get 25 mpg sometimes 30 ,hand calced, “the lieometer states 32-35 “ for a 7000 lb truck that’s pretty good ,
towing 10,000 lb 20 mpg. I did put a tuner , cai, 4” exhaust on it , I bought it new in 04.

diesels run at lower rpm’s thus the longevity

RJSakowski

Diesel is almost always cheaper than gas locally. It spent some time higher than gas two or three summers ago when gas went nuts and diesel stayed low until they jacked diesel up late in the summer because people were buying used diesels to get away from gas prices. Gas hit $1.50/L (average esrly summer was $1.10/L) diesel was $.99/L until late summer when it took off higher than gas.

Right now, gas is $1.29-1.35, diesel is $1.18-1.25.
Its consistently cheaper than gas.

But my understanding is you burn less diesel than gas?
Yes you do and great deisel prices. I wish that were true here! I think the long haul trucking and agricultural use keep the demand up here.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I agree a new truck might be in order. However I'm not sure you'll need a diesel. I have a 2010 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 liter V8. It's normally loaded with about 500 lbs. of tools and cargo. In addition I regularly pull a trailer capable of a 10,000 lb. load. The truck is rated to tow 9,600 lb. so I keep the load below 8,000 lbs. This truck averages 15.5 mpg with the load and trailer, and 18-19 mpg without it.

Keep in mind this is an 8 year old truck. The newer gas models boast an Eco boost turbo charged engine, a 10 speed transmission, and mileage in the mid to upper 20's towing and hauling the same load.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Reading all those MPG's fuel bill must be pretty high, for comparison I drive a peugeot 605 2.1 td 4 cylinder mechanical turbo diesel extremely reliable and i'm getting average 62 mpg highway 50 mpg city driving. Diesel fuel is much cheaper than gasoline here in europe, the other option many here do is LPG conversion, any gasoline vehicle can be converted to run on compressed liquid gas and LPG is half the price, i've been down that road with my previous car, it had a high compression engine so i had to run 100+ octane gasoline which is even more expensive so i payed about a grand and had an entire secondary LPG fuel system installed, the LPG is much cleaner it extended my oil change intervals and been 104 octane no check engine lights.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My monthly gas consumption is quite high, yes...

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I don't know about up there, but in southern Wisconsin, diesel can run between 15 and 30% more per gallon than regular gasoline. That pretty much eats up any increase in fuel economy.
Diesel should be less expensive than gas, it used to be that way in the states. Not sure what caused the change. Diesel will not go bad like gas. So it can sit in storage longer, it requires less refining.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Be careful when considering a switch to propane. A gallon of gasoline has between 115,000 and 125,000 btu's per gallon. A gallon of propane only has 91,600 btu's per gallon. That means a gallon of propane will contain slightly less than 80% of the energy of a gallon of gasoline with the lowest btu rating. It would be less than 74% of the higher btu gasoline. Unless the price reflects the lesser amount of energy it may not be cost effective.

As for the Peugeot getting 60+ mpg that's fine, but I doubt it could even move a 2 ton trailer let alone power it down the highway at 60 mph. Even if it did a time or two I doubt it would get any better mileage than the OP's current vehicle. It certainly wouldn't do it for 100,000 miles.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Yes, LPG uses about 11% more than gasoline, but gasoline is 1,1 euro per liter, LPG is 0,4 euro per liter here, as for my car, i'm using it for transportation i've got no need for towing, ofcourse it won't get that MPG max out, as for lasting over 100,000 miles, believe me it already has more than 8x that on the engine, forth gearbox and second body shell.

RJSakowski

I remember diesel being cheaper than gasoline too. The national average price of diesel in the period 1994 to 2004 was 1`% less than regular gasoline. During the period from 2004 to present, the price of diesel has averaged 10% more than gasoline.
Not necessarilly the cause but we went into Iraq in 2003.

RJSakowski

LPG is cleaner burning but that would be the only reason that I would choose it as a motor fuel. It would be difficult the find refueling stations on the road.
While we're talking about alternative fuels, the only way that I would purchase E85 would be to do a final top off on a rental vehicle.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Yes, LPG uses about 11% more than gasoline, but gasoline is 1,1 euro per liter, LPG is 0,4 euro per liter here, as for my car, i'm using it for transportation i've got no need for towing, ofcourse it won't get that MPG max out, as for lasting over 100,000 miles, believe me it already has more than 8x that on the engine, forth gearbox and second body shell.
I was referring to the ability of the Peugeot being able to pull the 2 ton trailer 100,000 miles.

In addition todays refineries get about 20 gallons of gas from a 42 gallon barrel of crude oil, while only getting 11 gallons of diesel fuel. I believe this number has increased in recent years from about 17 gallons due to better refining techniques. You used to see flare stacks at nearly every refinery burning off distillates that couldn't be captured. These days there are very few disposing of unrecoverable distillates in this manner.

Last edited:

wileel

Registered
Registered
Unfortunately I can give and insight on the eco diesel but last year I traded from a 2005 F-250 (6.0) to a 2017 F-250 (6.7). I love both trucks but the new one is better on mileage, but its nothing like driving a VW TDI or the like. With the '05 I would average 14-17 and with the '17 I average about 20-22 IF I concentrate on driving for mileage. Both trucks were open bed, extended cab, short bed and 4 wheel drive.

dlane

Active User
Diesel should be less expensive than gas, it used to be that way in the states. Not sure what caused the change.

Wall Street,
Diesel is a byproduct of making gas, sure should be cheeper than gas.
Diesel goes up everything you buy goes up , never to go back down, after diesel dose

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Certainly not gonna buy a propane vehicle. I wouldn't even know where to fuel it around here. Lol.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I've had diesel pickups at work and for myself, they're great if your working them hard all the time and need the power. I had a Ford 7.3 l with the 6 speed standard, it pulled my 30 foot travel trailer or 10,000 pound boat effortlessly and gave good milage. If your not pulling a trailer a 3500 kg truck isn't a great passenger vehicle tough. Oil changes involved a $20 filter and 16 liters of oil. Brake pads and rotors were pricy to say the least. And heaven forbid you needed work done on the injector pump or injectors.

Greg

Superburban

Propane here was $2.59 today, gas was $2.49. IIRC, diesel was $2.69 or $2.79.

Diesel prices started to go crazy, when they mandated the low sulpher, and went crazy when they went to the Ultra low sulpher. IIRC, since the 90's, diesel has doubled in demand, and gasoline has only gone up around 50%. It used to be hard to find diesel besides a truck stop (and some of them did not want to sell to cars and pickups back in the 80's), now its probably impossible to find a station that does not sell diesel.

Liljoebrshooter

Registered
Registered
Another thing to add to a new diesel is the DEF fluid. I bought my first diesel truck last year for hauling my camper. I read the dealer information about the DEF used and didn't think to much about it. Well it has used about double the amount that Chevrolet says.
I don't think you would EVER pay for the diesel with your expected use. You will never run out of power, but it will cost you for every mile.
My truck will tow my 8k lb camper effortlessly, set the cruise at 70mph and go.
Joe Hynes

Attachments

Flat fender

Swarf
Registered
Figure your Cost Per Mile Driven in the miles you plan to put on the truck, simple math. Do not forget the DEF fluid for the diesel, that as well needs to be considered. Comparing the number between the gas and diesel will surprise most. The advantage of a diesel as a work truck is your ability to write off the added cost, most driving a diesel as a personal vehicle are unable to do that!.

FF

dlane

Active User
Do Ecodiesels use Bull p**s (DEF) who’d a thought cow pee would be worth something :confused 3:.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Figure your Cost Per Mile Driven in the miles you plan to put on the truck, simple math. Do not forget the DEF fluid for the diesel, that as well needs to be considered. Comparing the number between the gas and diesel will surprise most. The advantage of a diesel as a work truck is your ability to write off the added cost, most driving a diesel as a personal vehicle are unable to do that!.

FF
I don't own the business, I cannot write off anything.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
The VM Motori 3.0 litre diesel was designed for the European Cadillac to compete with Mercedes, so it's pretty smooth unit. VM Motori has an very good rep world wide.

wileel

Registered
Registered
I don't think DEF is worth talking about while discussing running costs...$25-30 for a fill every 10k or so... I prolly spend that in washer fluuid

[6]
[5] [7]