Truck vs truck...

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Again, not a classic truck question. There's no forum for general vehicle questions.

(I did the math to convert all metric and CAD to imperial and USD)

I bought a 2014 Chevy 1500 new from the factory in Nov '13. My financing is coming to an end soon and I'm starting to wonder about trading in.
Tow package, ecotec (or whatever gm calls their economy engine that goes from V8 to v4 when conditions permit.)
The gas milage was pretty good, actually... When I didn't have the contractor cap on it. It would spend most of its cruising time in v4 usually around 18-19 mpg, my recorded best is 21.2mpg.
However, with the cap on it, my average per 60km is 12mpg. That's pretty dismal for an engine like this. Because of the added weight and aerodynamic drag it almost always stays in V8.
15224994819708658418047693903001.jpg

Even worse when I have the ladders loaded up top, which I often have stored up there. Recently took them off because I hadn't used them all winter. But the first job we do up high the ladders will probably go back up to stay for the summer.

Questions...

Ive always wanted a diesel for its higher milage capabilities. The initial cost is pretty heart breaking, but with the ability to trade in, which I didn't have when I bought this truck, that softens the blow fairly significantly.

My old boss bought the dodges EcoDiesel a few years ago. I was floored when I saw his AVERAGE was 22 mpg. That's higher than my best. And he uses his for work. His daily driver. (we put a LOT of miles on our trucks...) (From Nov '13 I'm at 99,141 miles.)

I'm considering that truck. The reason being, due to gas prices (filled up at $3.80/gal this morning), and the truck just drinking fuel because of the cap. We have a 2 ton dump trailer that easily pushes my gross vehicle weight right up to 10,000 lbs, that I periodically drag around. The truck handles it great, but it's really pushing the upper limits of, well, everything. I know the 1500 EcoDiesel has similar tow capacity.

So, what it's going to come down to is gas milage with the cap on it.
I do not know how the EcoDiesel acts with the added wind drag and constant weight. Does it perform the same as the Chevy staying in V8?

Any opinions or actual knowledge is appreciated.

I don't know about up there, but in southern Wisconsin, diesel can run between 15 and 30% more per gallon than regular gasoline. That pretty much eats up any increase in fuel economy.

Diesel is almost always cheaper than gas locally. It spent some time higher than gas two or three summers ago when gas went nuts and diesel stayed low until they jacked diesel up late in the summer because people were buying used diesels to get away from gas prices. Gas hit $1.50/L (average esrly summer was $1.10/L) diesel was $.99/L until late summer when it took off higher than gas.

Right now, gas is $1.29-1.35, diesel is $1.18-1.25.
Its consistently cheaper than gas.

But my understanding is you burn less diesel than gas?

Factor in oil changes too. Diesels usually hold several Gallons of oil not 5 quarts.

Mine 8. About $120 an oil change for synthetic. I do it myself. Shop rate is usually $130.

Shawn,

My experience is with Ford F-250 diesels. I had a 2005 6.0L diesel that towed well with just modest fuel mileage. It got about 10 mpg towing a 9,000 lb. fifth-wheel. We put about 45,000 miles on that trailer. I sold it in 2015 with 88,000 miles and got back 1/2 of what I originally paid. I was satisfied. The replacement truck is a 2015 F-250 long bed with the 6.7L diesel. It tows like a beast; it hardly downshifts from 6th gear. With a 3.31 differential, the engine turns 1450 rpm at 60 mph. With the fifth-wheel hooked up I get between 12-13 mpg. Without the trailer it gets about 21-22 mpg at 70 mph. I couldn't be more satisfied. The only problem with the long bed is that the turning radius is about 1/4 mile. It's bad in parking lots.
Glen

What I'm mainly looking for is if anyone here has an EcoDiesel and has experience with its various gas milage, with carrying a light-medium load to compare to my truck.

I believe ecodiesel’s are Italian made either in line or v6 , there are forums on the net with info on them.
I’ll stick with a proven Cummins turbo diesel

I have a 2003 3500 dodge 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel 6spd single rear wheels with a cap on top. Empty at hiway speed I get 25 mpg sometimes 30 ,hand calced, “the lieometer states 32-35 “ for a 7000 lb truck that’s pretty good ,
towing 10,000 lb 20 mpg. I did put a tuner , cai, 4” exhaust on it , I bought it new in 04.

diesels run at lower rpm’s thus the longevity

Diesel is almost always cheaper than gas locally. It spent some time higher than gas two or three summers ago when gas went nuts and diesel stayed low until they jacked diesel up late in the summer because people were buying used diesels to get away from gas prices. Gas hit $1.50/L (average esrly summer was $1.10/L) diesel was $.99/L until late summer when it took off higher than gas.

Right now, gas is $1.29-1.35, diesel is $1.18-1.25.
Its consistently cheaper than gas.

But my understanding is you burn less diesel than gas?
Yes you do and great deisel prices. I wish that were true here! I think the long haul trucking and agricultural use keep the demand up here.

I agree a new truck might be in order. However I'm not sure you'll need a diesel. I have a 2010 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 liter V8. It's normally loaded with about 500 lbs. of tools and cargo. In addition I regularly pull a trailer capable of a 10,000 lb. load. The truck is rated to tow 9,600 lb. so I keep the load below 8,000 lbs. This truck averages 15.5 mpg with the load and trailer, and 18-19 mpg without it.

Keep in mind this is an 8 year old truck. The newer gas models boast an Eco boost turbo charged engine, a 10 speed transmission, and mileage in the mid to upper 20's towing and hauling the same load.

Back