Truck vs truck...

Reading all those MPG's fuel bill must be pretty high, for comparison I drive a peugeot 605 2.1 td 4 cylinder mechanical turbo diesel extremely reliable and i'm getting average 62 mpg highway 50 mpg city driving. Diesel fuel is much cheaper than gasoline here in europe, the other option many here do is LPG conversion, any gasoline vehicle can be converted to run on compressed liquid gas and LPG is half the price, i've been down that road with my previous car, it had a high compression engine so i had to run 100+ octane gasoline which is even more expensive so i payed about a grand and had an entire secondary LPG fuel system installed, the LPG is much cleaner it extended my oil change intervals and been 104 octane no check engine lights.

My monthly gas consumption is quite high, yes...

I don't know about up there, but in southern Wisconsin, diesel can run between 15 and 30% more per gallon than regular gasoline. That pretty much eats up any increase in fuel economy.
Diesel should be less expensive than gas, it used to be that way in the states. Not sure what caused the change. Diesel will not go bad like gas. So it can sit in storage longer, it requires less refining.

Be careful when considering a switch to propane. A gallon of gasoline has between 115,000 and 125,000 btu's per gallon. A gallon of propane only has 91,600 btu's per gallon. That means a gallon of propane will contain slightly less than 80% of the energy of a gallon of gasoline with the lowest btu rating. It would be less than 74% of the higher btu gasoline. Unless the price reflects the lesser amount of energy it may not be cost effective.

As for the Peugeot getting 60+ mpg that's fine, but I doubt it could even move a 2 ton trailer let alone power it down the highway at 60 mph. Even if it did a time or two I doubt it would get any better mileage than the OP's current vehicle. It certainly wouldn't do it for 100,000 miles.

Yes, LPG uses about 11% more than gasoline, but gasoline is 1,1 euro per liter, LPG is 0,4 euro per liter here, as for my car, i'm using it for transportation i've got no need for towing, ofcourse it won't get that MPG max out, as for lasting over 100,000 miles, believe me it already has more than 8x that on the engine, forth gearbox and second body shell.

I remember diesel being cheaper than gasoline too. The national average price of diesel in the period 1994 to 2004 was 1`% less than regular gasoline. During the period from 2004 to present, the price of diesel has averaged 10% more than gasoline.
Not necessarilly the cause but we went into Iraq in 2003.

LPG is cleaner burning but that would be the only reason that I would choose it as a motor fuel. It would be difficult the find refueling stations on the road.
While we're talking about alternative fuels, the only way that I would purchase E85 would be to do a final top off on a rental vehicle.

Yes, LPG uses about 11% more than gasoline, but gasoline is 1,1 euro per liter, LPG is 0,4 euro per liter here, as for my car, i'm using it for transportation i've got no need for towing, ofcourse it won't get that MPG max out, as for lasting over 100,000 miles, believe me it already has more than 8x that on the engine, forth gearbox and second body shell.

I was referring to the ability of the Peugeot being able to pull the 2 ton trailer 100,000 miles.

In addition todays refineries get about 20 gallons of gas from a 42 gallon barrel of crude oil, while only getting 11 gallons of diesel fuel. I believe this number has increased in recent years from about 17 gallons due to better refining techniques. You used to see flare stacks at nearly every refinery burning off distillates that couldn't be captured. These days there are very few disposing of unrecoverable distillates in this manner.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can give and insight on the eco diesel but last year I traded from a 2005 F-250 (6.0) to a 2017 F-250 (6.7). I love both trucks but the new one is better on mileage, but its nothing like driving a VW TDI or the like. With the '05 I would average 14-17 and with the '17 I average about 20-22 IF I concentrate on driving for mileage. Both trucks were open bed, extended cab, short bed and 4 wheel drive.

Back