Truck vs truck...

Diesel should be less expensive than gas, it used to be that way in the states. Not sure what caused the change.

Wall Street,
Diesel is a byproduct of making gas, sure should be cheeper than gas.
Diesel goes up everything you buy goes up , never to go back down, after diesel dose

Last edited:
Certainly not gonna buy a propane vehicle. I wouldn't even know where to fuel it around here. Lol.

I've had diesel pickups at work and for myself, they're great if your working them hard all the time and need the power. I had a Ford 7.3 l with the 6 speed standard, it pulled my 30 foot travel trailer or 10,000 pound boat effortlessly and gave good milage. If your not pulling a trailer a 3500 kg truck isn't a great passenger vehicle tough. Oil changes involved a $20 filter and 16 liters of oil. Brake pads and rotors were pricy to say the least. And heaven forbid you needed work done on the injector pump or injectors.

Greg

Propane here was $2.59 today, gas was $2.49. IIRC, diesel was $2.69 or $2.79.

Diesel prices started to go crazy, when they mandated the low sulpher, and went crazy when they went to the Ultra low sulpher. IIRC, since the 90's, diesel has doubled in demand, and gasoline has only gone up around 50%. It used to be hard to find diesel besides a truck stop (and some of them did not want to sell to cars and pickups back in the 80's), now its probably impossible to find a station that does not sell diesel.

Another thing to add to a new diesel is the DEF fluid. I bought my first diesel truck last year for hauling my camper. I read the dealer information about the DEF used and didn't think to much about it. Well it has used about double the amount that Chevrolet says.
I don't think you would EVER pay for the diesel with your expected use. You will never run out of power, but it will cost you for every mile.
My truck will tow my 8k lb camper effortlessly, set the cruise at 70mph and go.
Joe Hynes

20170909_162231.jpg

Figure your Cost Per Mile Driven in the miles you plan to put on the truck, simple math. Do not forget the DEF fluid for the diesel, that as well needs to be considered. Comparing the number between the gas and diesel will surprise most. The advantage of a diesel as a work truck is your ability to write off the added cost, most driving a diesel as a personal vehicle are unable to do that!.

FF

Do Ecodiesels use Bull p**s (DEF) who’d a thought cow pee would be worth something :confused 3:.

Figure your Cost Per Mile Driven in the miles you plan to put on the truck, simple math. Do not forget the DEF fluid for the diesel, that as well needs to be considered. Comparing the number between the gas and diesel will surprise most. The advantage of a diesel as a work truck is your ability to write off the added cost, most driving a diesel as a personal vehicle are unable to do that!.

FF
I don't own the business, I cannot write off anything.

The VM Motori 3.0 litre diesel was designed for the European Cadillac to compete with Mercedes, so it's pretty smooth unit. VM Motori has an very good rep world wide.

I don't think DEF is worth talking about while discussing running costs...$25-30 for a fill every 10k or so... I prolly spend that in washer fluuid

Back