Trucking company recommendation?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I may need to move 5000 lb CNC lathe from Johnson City, Tn to Portland, Or. Who do you like for a trucking company that won't destroy a machine in the move.

Hi Jim,
I have had very good luck with YRC in the last few years with both shipping and receiving large crated equipment
i found a trick with them to reduce the shipping cost.
if you are interested, send me a message, i'll tell you what i found out ;)

Jim,

Always a good idea to obtain theee or four quotes from different shipping companies. I've found rate quotes can vary as much as 100% between vendors. Nothing consistent with freight rates at all...

Having said that, I have recently used JC Logistics, a freight consolidator here in the Seattle area. They have always given me the best rate on the machine tools and other equipment I've purchased and shipped to Seattle. If you don't like the quote, talk to them a little and I've found they are happy to keep looking. They will scout around for you, for the best prices. So far they have mostly used Road Runner Terminals for my shipments coming from back east. I have been very happy with their services.

Here's the contact info, should you decide to talk to them.

Cheryl Wilson/CEO
JC Logistics
P 206-653-7560
F 206-653-7948
Email cheryl@jclogistics1.com
Web www.jclogistics1.com

Glenn

Glen brings up a good point. Theres acutely freight brokers online that look for trucks deadheading saving you some dough.

I know a machinery dealer, that will not use common carriers, he says by crating machines it gives the fork lift drivers confidence to go ahead and ram the machine any way they choose. He further stated that the likes of YRC cost him too much money. Everything he ships goes by independent truckers, procured thru a broker. Truckers hate crates ,hard to strap down, you want to strap down a CNC machine, open truck, air suspension partially crated, shrink wrapped, tarped and strapped is how he ships all machines year round. My SG that I recently got came in perfect shipped in this fashion. I agree with him, most everything I have received shipped Estes or YRC has come in pretty well shook up, damaged crates , forks stabs in the crate, crushed panels, not comforting at all. My small CNC mill came in a year ago crated in closed trail thru ESTES, they beat the living day lights out of it, lesson learned, I stay away from common carriers, they move the machine from truck to truck too many times for the trip. A independent trucker, one truck start to finish, much better odds in my opinion.

One thing I learned when I crated and shipped my 1/4 scale locomotive cross country - if you leave the top open, or it has an odd geometry, the crate/palate gets treated with special care. e.G., they move it into and out of the warehouse and sit it away from the bulk goods stacked to the ceiling. Also gets loaded into a connex or van by itself - not stacked on top of something else. So mark it -warning, " open top", or " fragile top", and crate it that way, with no way to stack something on it. Way lower probability of damage.

#2- buy insurance. That's what it's for. Actually most freight forwarders automatically provide insurance for loads just to prevent paying out for damage. Make sure to ask and verify.

I don't know enuf about common carriers versus independents, except, here in Seattle, was told independents are largely a thing of the past, and empty back hauls non existent. So not a consistently dependable way to move freight. Seems like for my money, a good freight consolidator is the way to go.

My last machine move was a palletized shrink wrapped afair. No problems no damage. Both the freight office and the drivers told me the shrink wrapping was mostly a convenienc , to contain any loose parts that fell off during transit. You don't need a tarp unless you are shipping via an open flat bed. Then the price will go way up anyways, over an enclosed 40 or 50' trailer.

Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn , you shipped a 1/4 scale locomotive across country :eek: what did that weigh?

Con-Way has been the local delivery option for freight in the past. I always felt they did a good job and wanted me to get my stuff in a convenient manner. Many others can't even be bothered to call ahead even when its stated on the bill of lading.

I want to thank you all for your insight and suggestions. Having thought it over I think I'm going to make a 5000 mile road trip. The cost will be about the same, but at least it will be moved by an experienced machinery mover (Dawson Rigging & Trucking :grin:) on an air ride trailer. And it will save me an airplane ride back there to go look at the machine. And who knows, maybe I can get a load going east also :rolleyes:

Back