Trueing Bridgeport Mill table

Thanks for all the replies, I will leave well enough alone and just check for flatness and remove high spots with an oil stone.

Garry

No one seems to have mentioned that recutting or grinding the top of the table can stress relieve it and cause the table to warp.

George is correct. A friend of mine, Axel Fors of Fors Machine Rebuilding in Ogden UTah runs a T-Slot cutter down the peaned T-Stots on all the table before he grinds them. Archie the professor who writes on my forum says the table bends from peening and stretching the metal. I have also heard of rebuilders who flip the table over and peen the bottom and it straightens out. I tried that once on an old 36" table to see if it would bend back. It did, but it was on a machine we scraped. I would never do that to a customers machine. But George is correct, you could pull the table and have it ground and it will straighten up. A friend of mine up here in MN will grind the top and fly cut the bottom from $750.00 - 1000.00. Rich

I once had to have the table of a little Burke #4 recut. It had warped pretty badly from tightening stuff in the T slot. Had to have both the table and the underside and dovetail recut.

Back