[Shaper] Truing ALBA shaper table

curioushooter

Registered
Registered
I have an old ALBA/Elliot 1A shaper. It works well mechanically, however the table is grossly misaligned.

no5.jpg

Then I indicate it as shown, over there over ten thousandths taper from the end of the table to the front. There is also left-to-right taper in relation to the ram.

no1.jpg

As far as I can tell, there are gib adjusting screws on all the dovetails. Many of them, however, appear to be screwed into their maximum level and can be tightened no further. The wear on the cast iron surfaces appears to be substantial, though not extreme. Does this mean that new gibbs should be made or longer screws used?

no2.jpg

I’ve read of truing the table by using the shaper to shape the table. This seems very risky to me as on this shaper the is not enough clearance between the rear of the table and the casting that makes the head of the shaper. Also, it would leave little material for future re-truing.

no4.jpg

I’ve read of people making plates and welding/fastening them to the table or making vises and truing those with the ram. Most vises are hardened and ground, so I don’t think that would work. Does it makes sense to shim the two parts of the table to that it is closer to true?

no3.jpg

Also posted at Practical machinist Forum.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to get this things to have a table true to the ram so it can be used for flattening. What is reasonable expectation for a shaper? Less than a thousandth over 12 inches, which is the standard I hold my milling machine to, or less than this?

no1.jpg no2.jpg no3.jpg no4.jpg no5.jpg

My Atlas was off by about that same amount. I removed one of the original shims and got it within .001"

Found out the best way to manage this problem is to drill and tap the stem that supports the table and put a set screw in there. Adjust as needed and before each job. Takes a bit of time but gets the job done.

Back