truing up a vise - will this work?

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I have a practical B- quality vise I would like to true up. When I clean it an measure the vise work bed to the mounting surface at 4 corners the values are off by about 10 thousands. The plan is to mount the vise upside down on V blocks and clamp securely to the mill; and then carefully taking very light cuts mill the mounting surface.
Will this work? Is it a fools errand? I have a need for a reasonably accurate vise of this size and the quotes are in the $200 range. If I can improve this vise it will serve well.

The first question that comes to mind: Is the base flat? If so then you have a pretty good chance of getting it right. You just need to make sure that you do not introduce twist into the base when you clamp it down.

Can you post a picture of the vice? That would help in determining the best way of hanging on to it.

"Mounting surface"? I'd not go by that but a good surface plate. Then go from there. You run the risk of compounding the errors otherwise.

Quick follow up: the mounting base seems flat against the bed. However the V block definitely wobbles on the vise as it sits in the picture. Based on this I would change the question to machining the upper surface. I will definitely measure the vise on a surface plate.
That said if measurement shows a lack of parallelism is it feasible to machine the surface? image_new_2.jpg

You would need to put the V block in the center of that vise because the movable jaw will definately angle if put to one side. IMO that vise is more for drill press operations than milling operations. You need to center your work in the vise to get the best gripping strength.

I don't mean to come off as an elitist but that isn't really what I'd call a mill vise, more like a drill press vise. There are 4" import mill vises that would be below $200 and would offer some meat to work with.

Last edited:
If the base sets flat on the table, then you will have to machine the top surfaces. The V-block wobbling on a single surface would indicate that the surface is rounded, or maybe just has a burr that needs to be filed or stoned off.

As said above, that is really a more of a drill press vice than a mill vise, but can be used for light duty milling.

Back