Try this in your home shop

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Thought you might like this. The man is cutting off the axle spindle and welding on a new one. This is done when the bearing spins too bad on the spindle. He cuts off the old spindle, bores out the axle housing. He then heats the axle housing and press fits the new spindle. He finishes off the job by welding. I had this done about 30 years ago to a Brockway with Rockwell axles. The driver started to haul out a load of logs when the rear wheel was sticking out more then before. When I pulled the wheel, the spindle had been ground down. I called a company and they did this repair in the woods. I don't remember the cost then, but this guy said the repair is well North of $1K. I was around the Brockway for over 8 years and there was never any problems with the repair. This is cheaper then replacing an axle if you can get one.

The repair is done by a certified welder and the repair is DOT approved.

IMG_0439.jpeg

Gosh, we just replace the axle housing. This is a very common problem when the driver just keeps driving with his overloaded rig.
I've never seen that device.
The weld would introduce some interesting changes in the housing, metallurgically speaking.
But, if it works and saves the customer money.....

I used a portable keyway cutter and a Journal Squirrel (portable lathe) a few times. Very versatile equipment. Our field service team used them on many jobs, including the Branson Belle.

Stuff like this does not happen on independent A-arm suspensions.

Freeze a bearing, you unbolt the hub and take it to the machine shop......

I do not understand this process or the pic? It looks like he is boring the housing, not cutting off the axle? How would you go about welding the new axle on if it is inside the housing?
Robert

He has already cut off the spindle. He is boring the housing and will then heat the axle housing that he bored. He will than press in the new spindle and weld the outside where it butts up. I believe the cut off spindle is laying on the floor. You only replace the bearing part of the spindle, not the whole side of the axle.

Thought you might like this. The man is cutting off the axle spindle and welding on a new one.
The repair is done by a certified welder and the repair is DOT approved.

Thanks @Chewy!

I love to see interesting machine stuff that I have never seen before!

However, I was really hoping for a video link.
I guess I gotta do that search myself.

Thanks again!
-brino

The company is called Axle Surgeons. All over the country. Website has pictures better showing how it is done, but no videos.

Come on, we all know real men just chuck the axle up in their lathe.

Not sure if it is the same company, but I watched a similar axle tube boring process at a trucking company I worked for about 15 years ago. IIRC, they had to advance the cutting tool by hand.

Come on, we all know real men just chuck the axle up in their lathe.

Not sure if it is the same company, but I watched a similar axle tube boring process at a trucking company I worked for about 15 years ago. IIRC, they had to advance the cutting tool by hand.
Have done a few stub swaps. Assembly, fit and finish was a little more refined than that.
Glad I'm not driving whatever vehicle that thing is going back into.

Back