Trying to add a Model A apron to a SB 9" model C

Here's the spline blank cut and my screw housing, dials plus with some bearings i already had. IMG_2868.JPG

Next....grinding the Acme screw lathe tool and cutting the acme screw. I must give a shout to Tex-Va who posted a wonderful write up on Pract Machinist. Thread: Making a new Cross Slide Acme Screw
Without that write up...I wouldn't have even tried to do this at this stage of my abilities. Had to make a follower rest plus added a slotted crossslideIMG_2877.JPGIMG_2876.JPGIMG_2875.JPG

Last edited:
Loctite and pinned the screw to the spline. IMG_2889.JPG

Had a bit of trouble with making the dial. Only have a rotary table which I purchased off of Ebay. Its a Palmgren and although the price was good since it was new in the box, now I know why. It is way over-rated. The old Palmgren may have been OK...But this has been a let down. Anyway, I easily divided the 5's and 10's and engraved the lines with a carbide bit on the mill. But for the 100's lines...I had to improvise. It came out OK...But my numbering usings stamps really sucked IMO. I'll have to re-make that part of the dial at a later date. In any case....I'm up and running and its working pretty good and much better as far as slop and backlash is concerned. Can't upload last pic yet since haven't taken one of the installed numbered dial. IMG_2902.JPG

Last edited:
Anyway... even though it’s not on the level of many others here, I’m pleased with the outcome. FWIW if I could rename this thread, I’d call it lipstick on a pig. But I live in a machine tool desert for small bench lathes. Mostly oilfield and ship repair stuff show up on the second hand market

AEEE627D-15A4-4A5D-B787-17C5F8396A31.jpeg

24D31DD5-49B0-4C0F-A416-E006E9135571.jpeg

I'm impressed! Good job.
Thanks Mark. That means a LOT coming from you....Because sir, you are a true master craftsman IMO. It shows in every project you post.

Back