Trying to cut 45 Deg. In Aluminum

I would leave the template in place too.
Essentially this is the same as using a vee block under a part in the vise in a vertical mill......just with the machine rotated 90 degrees.

Due to the light looking vise and amount of overhang from the cross-slide, small depth of cuts are recommended.

-brino

Thank you all

I will keep the template and chuck the end mill about 1/8" before the flutes.

I'd bring the tailstock up to support the milling attachment with the quill, it'll be a lot more rigid and you'll get a better surface finish, I did this before I got my mill when I had a similar but heavier setup on the lathe (heavy webbed angle plate, much bigger topslide and a piece of 1" steel plate between the two). A nylon* "button" in the end of the quill (tapered to fit) allowed a bit of cross-slide movement with good support and not a lot of friction - YMMV!

Dave H. (the other one)

* may have been another plastic, possibly Delrin/Acetal, but looked like Nylon!

Ready to do my first cut tomorrow

As per attached pictures, the stock is 1”x 1” x 1” and I will take the corner at 45 degrees for 0.25” (you can see the marked line). As it stands now I plan to raise up the stock until the first cut is made then lower the stock to where I started and repeat in small increments.

Does it matter if I raise the stock slowly in one motion or if I raise it in 1/4" steps?

Is the above acceptable?

15 First Cut.JPG

15A First Cut.JPG

Back