Trying to Find 1/8 x 1 x 4 Parallels

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Like the title says I'm looking for a pair of 1/8 x 1 x 4 steel parallels with two mounting holes. I would settle for 3/32 thick. I've searched eBay, Shars, Suburban Tools, Taft-Pierce, Travers and several more but haven't found any. I could make them but I don't have the capability for heat treating or grinding. Thought about cutting down 6" long ones but then the mounting holes don't fit my application.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Take 1" off both sides of the 6" long ones and the holes will be in the same place.

Cut off from either end with one hole in proper location to 4" length and drill a second hole. Use cutoff disk and carbide drill.

Try here.

image.png

-frank

Depending on usage and if in a HM shop environment? Then do not need to be heat treated. Just get some ground stock and make to suit. And you could make more than one set. If the first set gets to worn. Use that material for a project and grab another made set…Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. The Little Machine Shop parallels fit my needs except I only need the 1" tall pair. At this point I'm leaning towards making my own. Once my shop is up and running again I'll post pictures of what I'm using these on.

1/8 by 1 flat ground stock comes in 36" lengths. the 1" is a ground dimension.

Stefan G. on YT has a video on making parallels and surface grinding them. Not easy.

most of my parallels are made from flat ground stock that I have had through the years. They are not hardened and last a long time if not abused. If you want to harden them I would suggest A2 as it does not warp when heat treated. Also if you know someone in a machine shop you might be able to get them to have the parallels heat treated with the shop stuff.

most of my parallels are made from flat ground stock that I have had through the years. They are not hardened and last a long time if not abused. If you want to harden them I would suggest A2 as it does not warp when heat treated. Also if you know someone in a machine shop you might be able to get them to have the parallels heat treated with the shop stuff.

Thanks for the tip on A2. I'm close to moving so won't be able to get to this for a couple of months. This also means I'm going to have to search out metals suppliers and machine shops in my new location. I would prefer to buy a set pre-made but that doesn't look like it's going to happen so your tool steel suggestion is a good option.

Back