Trying to find propper oil for my mill.

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
I have my machine turning over for the first time under no load just to check. Everything seems to work fine but I'm prettt sure the oil is old.

The manual for the Van Norman 2SP calls for SAE50 all I could find local was zinced SAE50 motor oil.
Thoughts?

You are lucky! In Ca. we can't buy zinced oil, have to go to Nevada to buy it. I'd look in an oil viscosity crossover chart and find what 50 wt is compared to SUS, then check out sources of machine oil such as a local distributor or Grainger, etc.

It is used in racing and older vehicles to make up for the absence of lead in gasoline and consequent valve seat wear. I use it in my 1925 Dodge touring car for that reason (not racing) a friend with old cars and a daughter living in Nevada keeps me supplied.

If this is the gear oil, I would thin it down with diesel fuel and run it on high speed a bit to get stuff circulating.
After satisfied the dirt is suspended, I would drain it empty and install new oil.

Probably want Mobil Vactra 4 instead.

The metal tag on it says 30wt gulf harmony 68. Grainger have vactra?

McMaster Carr does. Just looked at it yesterday and I would much rather buy from them. Their website is much easier to navigate and they are usually cheaper.
Joe Hynes

Reactions: jcp
Back