Trying to locate 4-step pulley

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello, All.

I have a Powermatic band saw that had been modified quite a bit before I acquired it, so I'm not sure if what I need is original or not. The machine uses a pair of matching 4-step pulleys to regulate speed. One is a 3"-4"-5"-6" with a 3/4" center hole; the other is 3"-4"-5"-6" with a 5/8" center hole (both centers slotted for a keyway. The pulley used on the 3/4" shaft is damaged, and I can't locate a replacement. The undamaged 5/8" pulley has "Browning Maysville, KY." cast in it with "SCZ6" cast on the other side. The damaged pulley also has the "SCZ6" casting, but the part that may have had the "Browning..." is broken off. (See attached photo.)

Now to the questions:
1. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a 3"-4"-5"-6" pulley with a 3/4" center hole? I don't particularly care if it's a Browning, but that would be preferable. I've checked the usual places (eBay, MSC, McMaster-Carr) with no luck.
2. If I can't find a matching pulley, does it make sense to buy one that's close? I've located a 2-3-4-5, but would that work if I did not replace both pulleys? I recognize that the blade speed would be different because of the mismatch, but would that be critical and/or dangerous? (I also recognize that I will probably need a different V-belt, but that's no bid deal.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: I have no idea how the pulley was damaged. It was like that when I got, and I've just worked without that range. Turns out, it would be helpful to have it.
IMG_1298.JPGIMG_1299.JPGIMG_1300.JPG

Thanks! I just sent an e-mail to ask what size arbor hole is in the pulley.

Nice hot rod in your avatar. Did you build it? What year? How's it equipped. My avatar is my '54 Chevy pickup that I've converted to a Pontiac Firebird front end. It has 4.3 V6, ps, pd brakes, ac, 700R4, etc., etc., etc. We also have a '65 truck, '55 Chevy 2-dr post - both finished street rods; and a '59 Apache Fleetside truck that I've not started except for a Trans-Am front end conversion.

Thanks again, and best regards.
Terry

Glad to hear it. Hope it works out for you.

The coupe is a 33 Ford, dressed out with a 34 hood and grille. ( I like the look better), running a 347 stroker with an AOD. 9" Ford with 3.91 drive.
It's a hoot to drive, I named it Citation.. I'm on a first name basis will most of the cops.. LOL..

Reactions: tjb
Oh, I can blow that away! The Sheriff is the son-in-law of some of our best friends from high school!

Nice looking ride.

Here's a little eye-candy for you (truck's only at about 90% in this photo, but now finished):

IMG_0341.jpgIMG_0496.JPG

(My poor orphans don't even have names, but they're loved none the less.)

Regards,
Terry

Purty!! Love a 55 cheby.. I think it's the best of the tri 5 chebys...

That P-U is no slouch either! Congrats. OH, when I said I'm on a first name basis with the constables.. it's cause they've all pulled me over at least once.! I've had to be a very good boy the last couple years or risk my license.. :guilty:

Purty!! Love a 55 cheby.. I think it's the best of the tri 5 chebys...

That P-U is no slouch either! Congrats. OH, when I said I'm on a first name basis with the constables.. it's cause they've all pulled me over at least once.! I've had to be a very good boy the last couple years or risk my license.. :guilty:
I caught that. Years ago, I had a 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe street rod (STILL regret selling that one). A cop pulled me over once just because he wanted to look at it. I didn't mind. Always enjoy talking to folks who appreciate the effort.

These days, I usually drive mine 10-20 UNDER the speed limit, just to play it safe. (The older I get, the less I trust myself.)

Want to get off of up-close-and-personal's with the constables? Get to know the Sheriff!! (Staying under the speed limit seems to help a lot, also. Go figure.)

Regards
Terry

P.S.: My very first car (back in '67) was a 1955 Chevy 210 post (wow, that was almost 51 years ago). Had a 265 Power Pack drive train in it. Modified it a lot and sold it. Always told myself if I could ever find another one, I'd buy it. I found the one in the pic about twelve mile from where I live, and it had been sitting on blocks in an old dairy barn for over twenty years. Only replaced one piece of sheet metal (lower trunk jamb), and that was because it was easier to replace than fix. The rest is ALL original - even the drip channels. No rust anywhere. One of those once-in-a-lifetime finds.

Thanks for the compliments.

Something just happens when I hear that motor... ya know?? Sigh, I know I should act my age. But - it just happens! LOL.

Great find on the 55, she's beautiful! And I'm a blue oval kinda guy.. :cool:

Reactions: tjb
Try Chicago Die Casting. Here's there website address. http://www.chicagodiecasting.com/
Thanks, Tom.

Actually, most of the pulleys I found on eBay were Chicago Die's. However, I wasn't able to find a 3-4-5-6. Thanks for the link. It contains their telephone #, so I'll call them this morning. Maybe they can point me to one.

Regards,
Terry

Back