• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

Trying to read a motor plate on an older GE 5k49- motor

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hope this Monday is finding all safe, well and in good spirits! I had to come to work to get a day off from the housework from the weekend!

Got a Boyer-Schultz 6x18 and its got a beautiful old GE 3ph motor on board... no worries- Ill get a VFD for it.... The plate is wiped clean except for the stamped in data- and I certainly am no expert of how to read one.

So I thought I would bend the ear of the collective group of chaps (and the 'lassies if they are about) to get a bit of an education if I could.

Pics to follow and my assumptions about this plate as well...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looks like 1/2 hp, 3 ph, amperage @ 208 and 220V, continuous duty, service factor 1.25, rpm @ 50 & 60 HZ respectively. Blow it out, check the bearing condition and should be good to go. Cheers, Mike

silverforgestudio

H-M Platinum Supporter
So I am understanding the plate info correctly- I will go line by line-
Line 1:
5K49-Blah Blah Blah-1655 1/2 HP 3ph

Line 2:
RPM is 2875/3450 volts 208-220 WHAT IS THE 1.6/1.4???

Line 3:
Hz is 50/60 WHAT IS 50/A00?? Continuous Duty

Line 4: (I have no clue what these designations mean)
L 1.25 902 NLF

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
1/2 HP
3 Phase
RPM = 3450 @ 60Hz
Voltage = 208 or 220 (commonally 230V today, I would set the VFD to output 220V)
Amps = 1.4 @ 220V
Service Factor = 1.25 (continuous duty)

silverforgestudio

H-M Platinum Supporter
Looks like 1/2 hp, 3 ph, amperage @ 208 and 220V, continuous duty, service factor 1.25, rpm @ 50 & 60 HZ respectively. Blow it out, check the bearing condition and should be good to go. Cheers, Mike
Hey thanks Mike- Ive got some good ideas from your other content here- Im looking for the "VLA" as I am trying to get a VFD on this guy- and have no experience buying a VFD (everything else is single phase except the KMG which already has a VFD on board

Blew it out- it spins a treat- looking to replace the "OIL CUP" on the rear bearing with an auto-oiler...

silverforgestudio

H-M Platinum Supporter
Hmmm- one concern- This s an older motor- I will not be ramping it up or down in RPM- just on/off- Its a surface grinder so not much need for variable speed there...

Can this old motor "take" a VFD?

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
For $5 or so, you could just replace your old bearings with sealed units (check e-bay with your old bearing numbers, with a 2RS suffix), and no oiling worries, and maintain the old school look. As Jim explained above, the 1.6/1.4 is the amp draw at 208/220V, higher V = less amperage draw. Mike

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I think the motor will be fine. I would ramp up over about 5 seconds, and set the VFD to ''Coast to Stop''

jbobb1

H-M Platinum Supporter
For $5 or so, you could just replace your old bearings with sealed units (check e-bay with your old bearing numbers, with a 2RS suffix), and no oiling worries, and maintain the old school look. As Jim explained above, the 1.6/1.4 is the amp draw at 208/220V, higher V = less amperage draw. Mike
That motor has bronze sleeve bearings.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock