Trying to read a motor plate on an older GE 5k49- motor

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hope this Monday is finding all safe, well and in good spirits! I had to come to work to get a day off from the housework from the weekend!

Got a Boyer-Schultz 6x18 and its got a beautiful old GE 3ph motor on board... no worries- Ill get a VFD for it.... The plate is wiped clean except for the stamped in data- and I certainly am no expert of how to read one.

So I thought I would bend the ear of the collective group of chaps (and the 'lassies if they are about) to get a bit of an education if I could.

Pics to follow and my assumptions about this plate as well...

Looks like 1/2 hp, 3 ph, amperage @ 208 and 220V, continuous duty, service factor 1.25, rpm @ 50 & 60 HZ respectively. Blow it out, check the bearing condition and should be good to go. Cheers, Mike

So I am understanding the plate info correctly- I will go line by line-
Line 1:
5K49-Blah Blah Blah-1655 1/2 HP 3ph

Line 2:
RPM is 2875/3450 volts 208-220 WHAT IS THE 1.6/1.4???

Line 3:
Hz is 50/60 WHAT IS 50/A00?? Continuous Duty

Line 4: (I have no clue what these designations mean)
L 1.25 902 NLF

1/2 HP
3 Phase
RPM = 3450 @ 60Hz
Voltage = 208 or 220 (commonally 230V today, I would set the VFD to output 220V)
Amps = 1.4 @ 220V
Service Factor = 1.25 (continuous duty)

Looks like 1/2 hp, 3 ph, amperage @ 208 and 220V, continuous duty, service factor 1.25, rpm @ 50 & 60 HZ respectively. Blow it out, check the bearing condition and should be good to go. Cheers, Mike
Hey thanks Mike- Ive got some good ideas from your other content here- Im looking for the "VLA" as I am trying to get a VFD on this guy- and have no experience buying a VFD (everything else is single phase except the KMG which already has a VFD on board

Blew it out- it spins a treat- looking to replace the "OIL CUP" on the rear bearing with an auto-oiler...

Hmmm- one concern- This s an older motor- I will not be ramping it up or down in RPM- just on/off- Its a surface grinder so not much need for variable speed there...

Can this old motor "take" a VFD?

For $5 or so, you could just replace your old bearings with sealed units (check e-bay with your old bearing numbers, with a 2RS suffix), and no oiling worries, and maintain the old school look. As Jim explained above, the 1.6/1.4 is the amp draw at 208/220V, higher V = less amperage draw. Mike

I think the motor will be fine. I would ramp up over about 5 seconds, and set the VFD to ''Coast to Stop''

Back