TSL-800D throwing oil between spindle and chuck

ascalise

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
Hoping some of you with more experience than myself can help resolve an issue I'm having with my lathe. It's a 1978 TSL-800D, and as title suggests, it's been slinging oil past the splash guard at the end of the spindle. I've reached out directly to Takisawa about the issue but their documentation is rather limited on these older machines. I'm suspecting its an issue with the splash guard or oil thrower itself (PN's 02-60, 02-61, respectively) but I don't think I can inspect it without pulling the spindle itself and I am not familiar with that procedure. This is a production machine in a manufacturing environment so downtime hurts and the last thing I want to do is have it sit waiting for parts. In the meantime it still works, just a bit messier than usual.
Thanks.

If there is a vent in the head stock gear box make sure it's clear. Don't know on your particular lathe ,but any gear box will build up pressure and leak past deals if the vent is plugged up

If it isn't overfilled I would guess a failing seal? Did this problem appear gradually or all at once?
-Mark

Back