Tubalcain converts a wood bandsaw to metal using a VFD, calls it a failure .

I have a VFD driven bandsaw. It uses a 1.5 HP motor, and has 18" drive wheels... It has more than enough power for things like 1/2 inch thick steel. think 2" tool steel would bog it down, but hey, I'm a hobby shop. I'll cut a little slower.

Now my motor is VFD rated, but the whole contraption is an offshore, low bid machine. It has never let me down in 8 years of use.

Just saw an ad for a vintage Walker Turner wood/metal bandsaw on the Phoenix Craigslist - $950. It's actually in Elgin, about halfway between Tucson and Mexico.
Here's a screen shot of one of the photos in the ad, showing the speeds available with the 2-speed "transmission."

So from what I’m reading here, the damage we try to avoid with regard to running a vfd at below 30 hz is not damage to the vfd, but to the motor. Is that correct? This is assuming a max hz in this example of 60.

Yes, the major risk is overheating. I forget the specifics of how the motor appears electrically when the core saturates. It might draw more current due to reduced impedance, but the VFD should limit the current.

I don’t know a thing about sensorless vectorless vfd’s. It sounds pricey though. Is this what we’re getting on EBay for 100 dollars or less? Or are those the old volts /hz models?

I don't know about the eBay specials. The Hitachis are sensorless vector drives, and not terribly expensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back