[4]

Tubular micrometer Co model question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Redmech

Registered
Registered
I’m looking to purchase a larger inside micrometer set.

I found this one but a bit unfamiliar exactly how this model brand works. I’m unsure if you can stack extensions in, or just change end caps. Google hasn’t been much help on my research. Seller doesn’t know anything about it, and it’s several states away from me. B2B1EBE9-8EBC-4165-B74A-B7015A166C5A.jpeg A4BACE4F-45B6-43BD-86B3-A2BF496DD9B1.jpeg

Attachments

Redmech

Registered
Registered
Thanks for any assistance. I’d just like to be sure of it’s range before I throw down some of my hard earned money.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The top rod and the upper two on the right appear to be handles for attaching to the inside mic to reach into holes and other difficult to access locations. The two at the upper right look to be duplicates, wonder what is missing? The four lower rods on the left and the one already installed in the micrometer on the lower right are for changing length. The mic by itself appears to be about 3" or a bit less in the photo, the minimum length it can screw down to with the shortest rod is the minimum capacity of the set. The setup at lower right appears to be the longest possible setup, looks like about 8" in the pic. The rods do not stack for longer lengths. One rod may be missing, the shortest one, unless the mic is usable without a rod installed. That is all a guess by looking at the pics...

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nice looking set that is definitely calibratable. If you find the price attractive: pounce on it. (I'm a sucker for fine hardwood cases though.)

benmychree

John York
The top rod and the upper two on the right appear to be handles for attaching to the inside mic to reach into holes and other difficult to access locations. The two at the upper right look to be duplicates, wonder what is missing? The four lower rods on the left and the one already installed in the micrometer on the lower right are for changing length. The mic by itself appears to be about 3" or a bit less in the photo, the minimum length it can screw down to with the shortest rod is the minimum capacity of the set. The setup at lower right appears to be the longest possible setup, looks like about 8" in the pic. The rods do not stack for longer lengths. One rod may be missing, the shortest one, unless the mic is usable without a rod installed. That is all a guess by looking at the pics...
Bob, I think you are incorrect on the stacking issue, all their sets that I have seen and use, work that way; the ones that I have seen and used were 4 - 40" (owned one) and 8 - 80 (have used) they all stacked together.

Redmech

Registered
Registered
Thanks for all the replies. I own a 1.5-12” and am looking for 4” and up. I’m trying to find the best deal, plus the greatest length.

Completely agree on the beautiful wood box that is still nice and clean.

Redmech

Registered
Registered
I’m just a bit unsure exactly how this model stacks or doesn’t. I’ve found new Mitutoyo 4-40” for $325. Which is much more than this set, but it’s new and I know exactly what this is. One of the reason I want the length is for line boring and measuring between shafts that I need to keep parallel. If I can spend a bit more money and get length to boot, that just makes sense.

Bob Korves

Bob, I think you are incorrect on the stacking issue, all their sets that I have seen and use, work that way; the ones that I have seen and used were 4 - 40" (owned one) and 8 - 80 (have used) they all stacked together.
Thanks, John. Yes, it looks like they can be stacked, and the three rods at the upper right are male/female extensions, not handles.

P. Waller

Ray C

Staff member
FWIW, as others have pointed out, these are made by Scherr "Tumico". I recently learned that Tumico stands for Tubular Micrometer Company.

I happen to have a great many S-T mics and like them a lot. They've been around for a good long while and have always played second fiddle to the two big names, Starrett and Brown & Sharpe.

Ray

benmychree

John York
Yes, they have been around for at least 50 years that I know of, I think they are superior to S or B&S at least in the ID mics, when they are screwed together they repeat, something that "others" really do not, hence having to measure them with an OD mic.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I’m just a bit unsure exactly how this model stacks or doesn’t. I’ve found new Mitutoyo 4-40” for $325. Which is much more than this set, but it’s new and I know exactly what this is. One of the reason I want the length is for line boring and measuring between shafts that I need to keep parallel. If I can spend a bit more money and get length to boot, that just makes sense.
The tubes screw together and the ends screw into them . There's no handle in this set but I'd guess by the rods it's at least 36" May be 40- 48" . Well made by a very good company they carried super large micrometer and weighed much less being tubular construction.

Redmech

Registered
Registered
A friend owns outside Sherr Tumico outside micrometers from 7-12” and I’ve just recently purchased a 12-16” micrometer from the same company that is tubular frame as well. Great tools, that serve their purpose well.

[6]
[5] [7]