Tubular micrometer Co model question

FWIW, as others have pointed out, these are made by Scherr "Tumico". I recently learned that Tumico stands for Tubular Micrometer Company.

I happen to have a great many S-T mics and like them a lot. They've been around for a good long while and have always played second fiddle to the two big names, Starrett and Brown & Sharpe.

Ray

Yes, they have been around for at least 50 years that I know of, I think they are superior to S or B&S at least in the ID mics, when they are screwed together they repeat, something that "others" really do not, hence having to measure them with an OD mic.

I’m just a bit unsure exactly how this model stacks or doesn’t. I’ve found new Mitutoyo 4-40” for $325. Which is much more than this set, but it’s new and I know exactly what this is. One of the reason I want the length is for line boring and measuring between shafts that I need to keep parallel. If I can spend a bit more money and get length to boot, that just makes sense.
The tubes screw together and the ends screw into them . There's no handle in this set but I'd guess by the rods it's at least 36" May be 40- 48" . Well made by a very good company they carried super large micrometer and weighed much less being tubular construction.

A friend owns outside Sherr Tumico outside micrometers from 7-12” and I’ve just recently purchased a 12-16” micrometer from the same company that is tubular frame as well. Great tools, that serve their purpose well.

Back