Tumbler inner gear removal

kopeck

Registered
Registered
I can't seem to get this bugger off:

IMG_0188.JPG

Is there a trick Im missing? I can't pull it off by hand. I've tried tapping on the shaft with a soft hammer and it just doesn't want to budge.

I would like to get it off to clean things up before I reinstall.

K

Sharpen an old screwdriver to a fine wedge shaped point and lightly hammer it under the back edge of the gear, then tap on the threaded end of the shaft with a soft hammer, then repeat, if one has two sharp screwdrivers or similar tool, use one on each side of the gear, 180 degrees apart. Should do the job.

On second thought, what was I Thinking! that gear is pressed on the shaft, which I think rotates directly in the cast iron tumbler bracket; it would likely need to be pressed off, which carries the chance of damage, I'd recommend leaving it assembled and work around the cleaning job

What lathe? What part? Is that the quill assembly?

It will probably have to be pressed off, since most of the assembled gear assemblies were press-fit at the factory. I recommend that you DO NOT try the screwdriver method above. These gears are only CAST IRON and are easily damaged, broken or shattered by improper use of force. If you don't have access to a press, then LEAVE IT ALONE!

I got it off.

I did the screw driver trick though pressing would have been better. The shaft had a burr on it, that why it was on there so hard.

K

Back