Tumbling mild steel - results

I use these guys for all my sanding, grinding, and finishing products https://benchmarkabrasives.com/blogs/news/a-guide-to-buffing-compounds-and-their-uses . Their flap discs can't be beat for the money. Buffing compound, and sewn cloth buffing wheels, should get the job done for you. On steel that isn't too rough, brown Tripoli should do the trick for a nice shiny finish. Granted, doing a whole lot of them would be a pain. Mike

I have these and love them but they don't go past 400 grit so no mirror finish.
sure they do, I see 1 micron... and 6 micron, and that's the first 2 pages of https://www.dedeco.com/browse/275/Radial-Discs/?g=2

600 in pumice.. yea, they have it.. Now I have that info. Never bought from them but I may.

No one chiming in about a vibratory, or tumbler????
I know they polish rocks to a gloss, there's got to be something for metal. A combo of solid and liquid I would think.

Just searched.... give these guys a call, they can probably help you:

checkout simichrome... I have some, and didn't know you could use it to charge the media... I also have walnut shells... GOOD TO KNOW

Simichrome works well on brass, bronze, chromium, aluminum and countless other similar metals. Simichrome is also used to charge dry polishing medias (such as Dri-Shine III, Walnut Shells, or crushed cob) for tumbling.

Available in 4 sizes: 50 gram Tube, a Case of 24 Tubes (50 grams each), 250 gram Tin, and 1000 gram Can.
Micron Rating: The Simichrome is 8 to 10 microns

Industrial Uses:

Metalworking, plastics and other industries have known for years that Simichrome is the perfect product to polish tool and die molds, extrusion dies, precision metal products, machinery – anywhere an ultra fine final polishing is required. Metalworking industries have been using Simichrome for product finishing applications for decades. In addition to being a superior polishing product, Simichrome is also an excellent purging compound to remove residue on mold and die cavities after prolonged molding of plastic parts.

Simichrome is designed to polish without scratching any ferrous or non-ferrous metal. It yields an unequaled smooth finish and may be used with confidence when polishing even the most delicate, precision equipment and parts. Plant maintenance professionals have found it to be the perfect polish for a number of cleaning applications.

Jewelry & Home Uses:
Perfect for brass, copper, silver, gold, pewter, magnesium, aluminum ... virtually any ferrous or non-ferrous metal surface. Use it all around the home on virtually any metal surface. Tough enough to handle more durable pieces such as light fixtures, lamps, furniture hardware, appliance handles, door knobs and much, much more. Gentle enough for fine metals like tea sets, sterling silver, jewelry, coins, brass and pewter pieces...any collectible metal treasure.

This tough, yet gentle polishing paste is the brand of choice for antiques dealers and jewelers because it polishes to a fine patina and not the glare of inferior polish products. Simichrome removes tarnish and leaves a protective coating to help slow down further tarnishing.

Last edited:
Mild steel
I've tried buffing but it does nothing for when the pieces are at the 400 grit stage.
Abrasives can get a mirror finish, but the quick/dirty way is to clean it well,
then apply a bright electroplate (on some materials, electropolishing is possible, too).
There's lots of bright nickel plate in old coffemakers, for instance. EPNS wares
are electroplated nickel silver (i.e. they didn't get it shiny with polishing).

With your parts being mild steel, what are you doing for corrosion resistance?

Back