Tuning the Isacon HY series VFD

Per above, this is multi-speed set by the binary 3 bit matrix. Setting the PIN 20-26 sets the speeds 1-7. These are activated by inputs D0, D1 and D3, so by switching any of the combinations of these three inputs it sets the speed control for the VFD. PN03 would need to be set to 07. So this acts as the frequency source, not a run command. It is unclear as to the setting of Pn19 "source of multi-segmented speed". This is a lot more basic VFD than the usual Huanyang VFD, so I am not sure I would put it in the same category or compare it to an HY. The manuals in these are really terrible, and I have had issues with them being buggy in some scenarios. There seems no way to set any of the motor parameters and it does not seem to run sensorless vector which will greatly enhance the motor performance. There is no way to run 3 wire control which is most frequently used with momentary buttons like on mills. If it works, fine, but do not expect a lot of functionality from them.
Multibit Speed..jpg

So many many posts on the internet trashing components, usually Chinese, written by people with no experience with the exact item. The posts are based on heresay, often decades old, about some different but maybe slightly similar product. The other side of the coin is best called "ignorance is bliss". Thinking that what they have is fantastic because they don't know what could be, should be.

So. What am I missing. What should I be looking for. I punch the start button, the lathe/mill/compressor starts. Hit the stop and it stops. Reverse, jog, it does what I ask. No smoke, no noise, no undue heat. The guy I bought the lathe from used a static converter for demo. Same for the semi-commercial source of my mill. The table motor on the mill was actually too hot to touch after less than a minute on the static converter; I and the seller figured on replacing it in the sale price. Yet on the VFD, it stays cool even on long runs. Compared to the statics, and the NOISY RPC I have, these VFDs are heaven.

I'm new to this type of electric motor stuff. I have automotive grade test equipment, DVOM, scope, and vibration analyzing equipment. I've designed, etched and assembled my own computer boards. But my three phase is limited to wiring in shop equipment. What sort of tests can I run that will show the weakness of these VFDs?

Hey Randy , I know this is an older thread but I just bought one of these vfd's. Have you added a forward/reverse switch and potentiometer to yours? I'm looking for type of switch you were using how you wired it.

Unfortunately no. I have the pots and assorted switches on hand, but medical issues have kept me out of the barn these last few months.

i'm sorry to hear about your medical problems Randy.
i wish you the speediest of recoveries :)

Thank you Randy for this post, its been a good read. I have had the same VFD for years and have never really understood what was going on. :eagerness:

To answer an earlier question. After much consideration, I realized that I would not use a reversing switch enough to justify making an external one. Speed control, on the other hand, was necessary. So quick n dirty, I put a 5K pot into the front cover of the VFD itself.

IMG_134752760.jpg
IMG_135032691.jpg

As you can see, the original South Bend switch placement was somewhat less than ideal, so I opted not to use it for VFD control. I have the VFD and DRO mounted on a simple swinging strut made from water pipe. It swings up out of the way agains thte shelf when not in use, and can be positioned anywhere needed, this side of the spinning chuck.

IMG_135130893.jpg

i did the same thing with the potentiometer on my lathe at home!
very cool

Back