Turn of the century tiling machine 1/4 scale

Nicky,

It takes a dedicated individual to see a project like that through and it looks like he's nearing the finish line. How long has he been working on it? Where did he have the castings poured?

I went to the National Threshers Association show in Wauseon last year. Anyone with the slightest interest in mechanical machinery owes it to themselves to experience it. I'll have to make sure notice of the show is posted in the appropriate place on this site, I think it takes place the third week in June.

Thanks for sharing your friends project with us.

Tom

Nicky,

It takes a dedicated individual to see a project like that through and it looks like he's nearing the finish line. How long has he been working on it? Where did he have the castings poured?

I went to the National Threshers Association show in Wauseon last year. Anyone with the slightest interest in mechanical machinery owes it to themselves to experience it. I'll have to make sure notice of the show is posted in the appropriate place on this site, I think it takes place the third week in June.

Thanks for sharing your friends project with us.
Tom

Rick completed the drawings around 1996 but had been photographing and making sketches with measurements long before that. Of course he was working full time then. It got pretty serious after he retired about 4 years ago. The only casting in the whole machine is the engine casting, the rest are all hand made by welding pieces together (weldments) and machining, filing, grinding etc. The gears and sprockets are from Boston Gears. The spokes were all drilled around and filed by hand to match the original. Even the governor was all hand made. All bearing housings were hand made. The "I" beams were milled from solid steel bars. The larger of the two steam pipes was actually made on the lathe. and drilled through as 1/4" pipe was a few thou. over the size and wouldn't do for him, The elbows and functioning union in the pipes were all hand made too as were the lubricators etc. Hand wheels were made from discs cut from bar stock. Even the fire box door was hand made (weldments). It is an amazing piece of workmanship is all I can say.
Nick

An update on Rick's tiling machine. Up to this point all the basic assemblies were made and installed to test for fit. Now Rick is going over each assembly to finish the detailing and to make them function. The following pictures are of the engine and boiler. Although not quite ready to run yet the engine is nearing completion as can be seen. I believe he intends to make square head bolts and nuts yet to replace all the bolts and screws on this project.
You also see the grate for the boiler and the boiler details. The boiler has been pressure tested and holds pressure however the tubes still need to be rolled. The rivets you see up the side of the boiler are actually just the rivet's heads. I think he said he soldered them on.
Certainly starting to look good. The boiler wall is 1/4" thick, a requirement by the local club rules for steel boilers.
So there you have it. Back when I have more.
Nick

001_1.JPG002_2.JPG003_3.JPG004_4.JPG005_5.JPG006_6.JPG

001_1.JPG 002_2.JPG 003_3.JPG 004_4.JPG 005_5.JPG 006_6.JPG

Nicky,
Thanks for the update. Looking good. Putting great effort into originality.

Cheers Phil

I love the detail on those scale engines. Don't know if I'll ever catch that bug, but who knows. Maybe some day.

OH WOW - at first I skipped over this thread thinking it was referring to something that made floor tiles. That is a very neat design on a bucket wheel trencher that is still being used today, albeit in more modern materials and power sources. Another testament to the pioneering folks whom even years ago really were able and ready to solve problems.

Thanks for posting this!!!

my interest for years has been in steam
your friend is really doing an amazing job and i'm looking forward to seeing his trencher running.
steve

mod2.jpg

It has been some time since I updated this thread. Rick is nearing completion of this project. Here is a picture from this summer's Hobby Fest in Sarnia , Ontario. The colour was what was found on the remains of an old original Buckey machine in places where grease had protected it.
Nick

Beautiful work. That sort of dedication takes a special sort of man. Mike

Back