Turning a tool shed into a shop

A side effect (that I knew without doubt was coming...) of moving all my tools into the shop 75 yards from the house:

I knew I would quickly tire of walking down there every time I needed a screwdriver and planned ahead for that by buying a tool box full of tools off Craigslist with most of the common "household chore" needs. What I didn't think about ahead of time was how often I grab my Milwaukee cordless drill/driver and 1/4" impact.

It took about 3 days for that to get REAL old, so yesterday I went to Deep Homo and bought a pair of Ryobi tools to keep in the garage. Should be plenty good enough for said "household chores". With my military discount, not horribly expensive either.

wt3.jpg

This has been my "welding table" since I bought my first welder 30-ish years ago. About 18" square. It fit the available space and could be rolled into a corner when not needed. Top heavy, and had a nasty tendency to move when least expected, but better than nothing...usually...

wt1.jpg

Spotted this on Craigslist, 1/4 plate top, a tad over 40" square, reasonably flat, adjustable leveling feet, vise included. $100

When I was contemplating building my own for my new shop, a 4x4 piece of 1/4 hot-rolled plate priced out at $303.xx and probably close to double that by the time I added legs and bracing and such.

Even with driving halfway across the state to get it and dropping $70 on gas, it didn't take long to do THAT math! :anon:

That sucker would be hard to move intentionally, let alone accidentally!

-brino

That sucker would be hard to move intentionally, let alone accidentally!

-brino

That's for sure! I got it into rough position with the forks on the Kubota. Moving it that last foot or so resulted in Ibuprofen for supper. :oops:

Back