Turning & Milling classes in Oakland, CA

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have lived in the Bay Area for my whole life, but I didn’t know that they offered turning and milling classes at The Crucible in Oakland, CA until I was 51 years old.

The way I heard about them was when I was at a vocational school (UBI) in Ashland, OR. Another student (from SF) said that he had taken machine shop classes in Oakland. I remember wishing that I was in those classes rather than the school that I was in.

Since then, I have taken 3 classes at The Crucible, and I will be in the Machine Shop Lab on a weekend in May 2020, and also in the Turning & Milling classes the last two weekends in June 2020.

Good way to spend a weekend. It costs about $125/day. They have a lot of large machines and the people are great.

thank you very much for the information. :grin:
the class is full for this go around, but i'll be sure to catch the next!

Yes, thanks. I live in hayward, right by Oakland. Will have to check on classes there. When I can get time.

The turning & milling weekend class (two weekends) on June 20 & June 28 still has 6 spots left as of today. That is the one that I am in.

The machine shop lab (one weekend) is May 16, 2020 and still has 5 spots. I am in that one, too.

I have taken the turning & milling class before. This is a prerequisite for the lab class; I don’t know to what degree they enforce this prerequisite. Having taken the lab class before, I can say that if you know how to operate either a manual milling machine or lathe, then you are fine.

Last edited:
I wish there was something closer t the Sacramento area.
Manual machines?

All manual machines, all HSS cutting tools. None of the lathes have DROs, and almost all of the milling machines have DROs.

I think it is definitely worth the drive from Sacramento. I am driving there from Santa Rosa. Well worth it.

I've seen this place, but don't have any personal experience. It looks like a maker space that focuses on instruction, not just tool access, although it looks like that's available too. Could be a very cool way to experience some of the harder-to-tool hobbies like foundry, forging, glass making, etc.
The Crucible Oakland Machine Shop

Thanks for posting this, I was not aware it existed. I grew up in Oakland and my Dad still lives in Alameda, probably 15 minutes away. Looks like a lot of interesting classes, machining, blacksmith, foundry work, fire eating, FIRE HULA HOOP!!!!

I just signed up for a weekend MIG class on June 6 and 7, 2020. MIG, my least favorite welding process.

Thanks for posting this, I was not aware it existed. I grew up in Oakland and my Dad still lives in Alameda, probably 15 minutes away. Looks like a lot of interesting classes, machining, blacksmith, foundry work, fire eating, FIRE HULA HOOP!!!!

I would be interested in blacksmithing and foundry, but I don’t see myself pursuing either one of those at home.

I think that if I took those classes, I would eventually forget most of what I learned. Use it or lose it.

Back