Turning plastic bushings

Fin and I restore old IH and Cub Cadet tractors . I know he just got a hold of 2 60" Haban decks . ;)

Ya it sounds like a cub cadet deck.
I would suggest you open the mcmaster carr catalog to the plastic materials.
The first page will tell you about plastics, there wear characteristics, temperament to oils and greases, fuel....machineability

Besides my horses I have a red 482 IH Cub....
In beautiful shape.....but alas the 482 is probably the most looked down on model.

Besides my horses I have a red 482 IH Cub....
In beautiful shape.....but alas the 482 is probably the most looked down on model.
Those red tractors are hard to find . Always pay a premium for that red paint ! :cool:

I started out with a 282 IH years back . Only had the Briggs 8HP engine on it . Brand new tractor , no compression for $100 . Took the head off and found the valve seat had popped out . Re-installed it and staked it in . Ran it for a few years and blew the crank thru the case ! o_O Bought another engine and sold the thing for $500 . This was the start of my tractor sideline and the demise of the machine shop . :big grin: I have pictures of my camp for the past 15 years . Every year I have a different tractor there . :grin:

Yeah Dave, 54" fab on a GTX2154 I picked up last year.
Owner's son said his mom ran it rell low on oil and it smoked like crazy.
Picked it up for parts money.
Pulled the engine to inspect and found over THREE QUARTS of oil in the crankcase!!!!
And a newly install dipstick that was about 1.25" TOO LONG!!
Yeah, I guess that would make it smoke a little.
So, this machine has become my dedicated cemetery mower now :big grin:

It's people like this that keep us in business ! :big grin: I did get the 1811 going , running great . Looking for a WF blower for it if you come across one . :)

First off, does anyone have a clue as to what these are made of?

Delrin (and its generic name, acetal) is a plastic intended for slippery parts and
load-bearing, so it's the ideal material for these. My experience with machining polymers, though,
is that they can warp/deform after cutting. If you can get an off-the-shelf replacement from
makers (Igus is a big one) of slippery bushings, the finish is superb (maybe they chemically
polish the outer surfaces?) and friction is amazingly low.

Unfortunately I;m seeing more and more stupid engineering ideas. Just had my van towed from a shopping mall to my house because the alternator went bad. Seems that if you have a Chrysler van with "basic" dash cluster there is a batt charge light. But if you have the more expensive "Deluxe" cluster, there is none. No warning, no nothing, just a dead van with the key locked in ignition and no way to open doors or put up window. Working on a little electronic no charge circuit now.

If I were you. I would go with the Delrin and coat the bolt and sleeve with wheel bearing or chassis grease and make it an every other oil change to check. Oh! Make a couple of spares while you are at it!!!!!
what year Chewy?

Back