Turning plastic bushings

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First off, does anyone have a clue as to what these are made of?
Want to make replacement bushings for these wheels as shown.
What should I be looking for as fa as mat'l?
I assume the bushings are of the same.
Each will recieve a 5/8 x 3/8 steel sleeve in the center w/grease passage.
New bushings are part of the assl'y and not offered individually.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN9365.JPG
    DSCN9365.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 35
Delrin/acetal is a common hard high strength plastic.
Nylon is a little softer.
Grease and UV resistance are things to consider.

So Delrin would be a good choice?

Are you turning the small bushings shown? The 3/8 x 5/8 sleeve is loose in that bushing so the bushing spins on the sleeve? Or does the sleeve press fit into the bushing and spin on the shaft? Most likely the originals were Nylon or Teflon. Making them might be easier with Delrin.

The bushing lightly presses into the wheel and the steel sleeve is a slip fit into the bushing and is lubed w/the grease zert in the wheel.
The steel bushing is clamped firmly between the brackets on the deck corners.
All the movement is between the plastic bushing and the stationary steel sleeve.
The original steel sleeves were more like an oversize split pin and had NEVER been greased!!
This on a 300 hr machine.
The bolts were nearly worn in half because they were loose as well.

Unfortunately I;m seeing more and more stupid engineering ideas. Just had my van towed from a shopping mall to my house because the alternator went bad. Seems that if you have a Chrysler van with "basic" dash cluster there is a batt charge light. But if you have the more expensive "Deluxe" cluster, there is none. No warning, no nothing, just a dead van with the key locked in ignition and no way to open doors or put up window. Working on a little electronic no charge circuit now.

If I were you. I would go with the Delrin and coat the bolt and sleeve with wheel bearing or chassis grease and make it an every other oil change to check. Oh! Make a couple of spares while you are at it!!!!!

Cub deck Fin ?

OK. I give up. What is a "Cub Deck Fin"?

Back