Turning very small aluminum rod

I need to take an Al rod and turn it down to make two pieces about 100 thousandths diameter by 350 thousandths long. Tolerances need to be no better than 5 thousandths or so, that part's easy. I have some ~0.5" rod stock to start with.

I'm guessing that if I just turn it down to that diameter it will flex quite a lot and I'll have some problems before I even get to 100 thousandths. Any advice on the best approach on this before I create a lot of scrap?

Or, am I worrying about nothing, it will be easy, and I should quite typing and just get on with it? :grin:

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll probably screw up a few times before I get it right. :grin big:

Exactly what I was concerned about. The small diameter part deflecting and I'll end up cutting a taper.

Ok, that photo convinced me it can be done, LOL.

Used to make turnbuckles for the drones we produced out of 15-5 ss with left and right hand 8-32 threads 1.5" long . Stock was 1/4" square . Turned both sides of the major diameters by tapering from the end up to .250 diameter and on finish pass took it right to size . The taper did not allow the piece to flex and the cnc had no trouble at all with the final cut . Popped the opposing threads on with 1/2" geometric die heads . Nice little job .

A quick followup - like any goober fiddling with a lathe during their early days I made the part 3 times before I got it right. This is try number 2 where I made the final turn down to about 10 thousandths too small. Third try was a charm. Total investment was about an hour of time, 2 inches of Al rod, and a small trash can full of spirals and chips, all to make such tiny pieces, lol.

A quick followup - like any goober fiddling with a lathe during their early days I made the part 3 times before I got it right. This is try number 2 where I made the final turn down to about 10 thousandths too small. Third try was a charm. Total investment was about an hour of time, 2 inches of Al rod, and a small trash can full of spirals and chips, all to make such tiny pieces, lol.

Wow Nice work, I'm pretty sure that I'd need more then 3 tries and even then i dont think i would have got the result you managed to achieve. As an observation, I would have Definitely started with a diameter much closer to the size i needed but i understand the "use what you got" necessity However to be honest, it hurt alittle to see so much going to waste but then again that's prime material for the kiln!

I rummaged all through my materials looking for a smaller diameter Al rod, but none to be found. I'm probably lucky because (at least until next June when I retire) I can occasionally wander through the machine shop where I work and dig through their scrap metal and take what I want.

I rummaged all through my materials looking for a smaller diameter Al rod, but none to be found. I'm probably lucky because (at least until next June when I retire) I can occasionally wander through the machine shop where I work and dig through their scrap metal and take what I want.
When its easy to come by then a small bit of waste in order to use what you have instead of buying something else is a sensible choice, I was just stating the obvious more practical option if given the choice.

As it sits you did an awesome job, im sure going that thin is not an easy job!

Not seeing how many required or mention of "box tool" solution. Google screw machines and especially turret lathes. Basically its a follow rest, 2 rollers opposite tool bit in same tool holder. Another would be smallest possible material (ie AL filler rod) and plenty RPM.

I need to take an Al rod and turn it down to make two pieces about 100 thousandths diameter by 350 thousandths long. Tolerances need to be no better than 5 thousandths or so, that part's easy. I have some ~0.5" rod stock to start with.

I'm guessing that if I just turn it down to that diameter it will flex quite a lot and I'll have some problems before I even get to 100 thousandths. Any advice on the best approach on this before I create a lot of scrap?

Or, am I worrying about nothing, it will be easy, and I should quiet typing and just get on with it? :grin:
I think Joe pie‘s do it in one shot will work fine. On doing a few pieces. That said I made a simple box too on my lathe to turn some stainless from 3/8 to 1/8 in production runs. Search this site for ( not a follow rest) .

Attachments

• D7FE2001-2C49-4DB8-9362-0361259C63B4.png
    D7FE2001-2C49-4DB8-9362-0361259C63B4.png
    977.5 KB · Views: 16
Back