Turret For Powermatic Millright Mvn

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
Looking for a turret for a powermatic millright mvn. The turret is the cast iron piece that goes on top of the column and has 4 clamping bolts. It is a part that never fails and most probably go to the scrap yard if a machine is in bad shape or worn out. Mine has a broken piece of the casting missing right where a bolt goes. If anyone here's of someone parting out or scrapping one of these mills I would be greatful to here about it. Thanks, Greg

Greg, is it where one of the ram clamp bolts fits or where it clamps to the base casting? If you can't find another one, find someone who is REALLY good at brazing with a torch and show him the job. Someone who is good can make it as strong as new and the repair will be nearly invisible after a couple coats of paint. Ask how many hundred jobs he has done that are similar. Wannabees need not apply...

I know Adam Booth and Keith Rucker could do it, and they both take in paying jobs, especially if they can also get a video out of it as well.

Disclaimer: I am not your guy, by a long shot... :-|

You can also call D. C. Morrison to see if they have one.

BTW, I liked your video of getting the base casting down the basement stairs!

Greg, is it where one of the ram clamp bolts fits or where it clamps to the base casting? If you can't find another one, find someone who is REALLY good at brazing with a torch and show him the job. Someone who is good can make it as strong as new and the repair will be nearly invisible after a couple coats of paint. Ask how many hundred jobs he has done that are similar. Wannabees need not apply...

I know Adam Booth and Keith Rucker could do it, and they both take in paying jobs, especially if they can also get a video out of it as well.

Disclaimer: I am not your guy, by a long shot... :-|

You can also call D. C. Morrison to see if they have one.

BTW, I liked your video of getting the base casting down the basement stairs!
It's a ram clamp bolt and a huge chunk is missing, I don't know if it could be built back up that much and be drilled and tapped and still have any kind of strength.
I did contact d.c. Morrison. They have ano uncompleted casting that still needs to be drilled and tapped. They want $500 hundred for it unfinished, and $700 if they drill and tap it. I didn't pay that for the whole machine. It will work with 3 bolts for awhile but I want to make this right eventually. Abom is the man!

It's a ram clamp bolt and a huge chunk is missing, I don't know if it could be built back up that much and be drilled and tapped and still have any kind of strength.
I did contact d.c. Morrison. They have ano uncompleted casting that still needs to be drilled and tapped. They want $500 hundred for it unfinished, and $700 if they drill and tap it. I didn't pay that for the whole machine. It will work with 3 bolts for awhile but I want to make this right eventually. Abom is the man!
If a large chunk is missing a new piece needs to be made and then brazed into the empty space. That is a doable job. Another option is to join the BurkeMills Yahoo group if you are not already a member there and ask there if anyone has an extra turret laying around. I would do that first...

Edit: A decent repair by a skilled welder would probably cost a fair percentage of the replacement from D.C. Morrison. I would follow up on both of those leads.

I just cant see paying that ridiculous price for a part that never wears out and that I know I will eventually find. I am also not real keen on the welding repair, maybe if I had the missing chunk I would consider it. But without it I am really leaning toward finding a used one. I am also a member on the yahoo burke mills group, your right I should post there.
Thanks for your input Bob, I appreciate it.
Greg

This is the casting that's broken.

20170108_153300.jpg
The break is in a bad spot. Might maybe could be fixed? Might last year's and might not?
20170108_153238.jpg
I think I have another option that I am exploring. No one seems to have a used millright turret so I may stick a bridgeport turret and ram on it, for several reasons.
1. It will still be a short machine for use in a basement shop.
2. Cost will be about the same or less than a new part from D.C.Morrison, they want $500 for an unfinished casting, $700 if they machine the holes in it.
3. The mill right head will bolt to the ram, same bolt circle.
4. I can look for a nice used J head while using the millright head.
5. If I upgrade to a bridgeport J head later I will be able to get parts for it easy, unlike the millright head.
6. And all I have to do is make an adapter ring to go between the millright base and the bridgeport turret. The bolt circles are not the same. That's not difficult at all. I can even use a bridgeport riser and cut it down and weld the millright adapter ring to it. I just have to find someone with a really big lathe to do the turning!!
So I think this is the direction I'm going to go. Build a hybrid mill. A Millport, or a Bridgeright. LOL Upgrade!

Back