Turret Lathe Cutoff Tool Riser

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I have a Samson LHT-25B turret lathe
i have the lathe dedicated to make step bushings from delrin and nylon for conveyor systems i service regularly
i want a vertical shear off tool like the Hardinge lathes, but i found a work around.....

i have a handle operated production type crosslide with a 12mm t-slot , i have a couple machines to play with,
and i have some material to transform into a tool holder :grin:
i needed to make 50 custom bushings, today
i worked quick and got it done in 1-1/2 hrs here is the end result

IMG_4845.jpgIMG_4846.jpg

the block is 6" tall 1-1/2'x2" 12L14 steel, cut by power hacksaw
i milled a recess to accept the cutoff tool
the step clamp is 1/4"x 2" hot rolled unknownium , milled to make a step for better clamping force
2, 5/16-18tpi bolts provide ample clamping force for the 1/2" cutoff tool.
i off center drilled a clearance drill W bore to clamp the toolholder to the crosslide
after finding the golden spot on the crosslide, i made a sample cut
i shimmed the riser up with .015" of cardboard, to put the cut off tool on center
and re-tested - it worked out on center without any pip !!!
i was able to use 3/4" barstock delrin continuously manually fed through the 5C collet closer
the turret was set up for length, a stopper extended from the turret and was cut off by the cross slide in the first operation
the second operation, the turret was set up to drill to .260" and an offset holder was chosen to reduce stock od to 18.8mm, a custom 5C collet stop was contrived to allow drilling and final od
i repeated the process 49 more times and got a stack of bushings, all completed in a couple hours

i'll post more pictures tomorrow

same Bat time, same Bat channel!

as always thanks for reading

You should mill a keyway in the bottom of it and install keys that fit the slot in the cross slide snugly to keep the tool aligned. In my shop I had a #2 Bardons and Oliver turret lathe with handlever and crank cross slide and power feed on the hex turret, and two speed motor, and ratchet bar feed; it was busy a lot of the time, and continues to serve the new owner well.

Sweet, wonder if it has any relation to my Samson 12x36?

Here's another song for him....

JOhn

Humm...I have a turret tailstock for the Takisawa sitting on the shelf. Maybe I should play with it, seems like fun.

You should mill a keyway in the bottom of it and install keys that fit the slot in the cross slide snugly to keep the tool aligned. In my shop I had a #2 Bardons and Oliver turret lathe with handlever and crank cross slide and power feed on the hex turret, and two speed motor, and ratchet bar feed; it was busy a lot of the time, and continues to serve the new owner well.
great idea, thank you for the suggestion!

Back