Turret Lathe Mentor Needed (hoped For)

Daryl,
I've used a hardinge turret a fair bit before switching to CNC lathe.

Set up is a fairly long process. Generally not worth it unless you are making at least 20 each of a part. They fell out of favor cause a CNC is worth it if you are making two parts.

First plan your order of operations. Put tool 1 in the first position, tool 2 in 2, ya da ya da. Then go through and set your stops for each tool. One thing I found, just set the stops only fairly close by eye the first time. You'll then see that you should re do one of the tools right away before trying to get in spec. Also, it really helps to set up the tools so you don't need to move X very much.

I could stop by if you have a specific detail question.

Karl

PS, A thought for you. I had considered building a custom DRO with a different offset for each turret position. Then you could leave the turret set up with several common tools and quickly make parts.

Last edited:
I would say No.1 should be the part stop. Any threading, the part needs to turned around so threading can be done. My boss had quick-disengaging tap holder and thread head with changeable threading dies. If your turret has a rear tool holder on the cross slide, we used to mount our parting tool on it and any profile tooling on the front tool holders. With a little practice setup becomes quicker.

Good luck with your lathe

Karl_T,
I look forward to the possibility of meeting you.
I need to clean up the tooling and try to some of it out. I'll have better questions and learning if I wrestle with it first.
Based on my current schedule it might be a few months before I'd begin to hope that you'd stop by to check out the cleaned up tooling.

And yes, I understand that it isn't worth fussing with unless there is a production run of the same part.
And that's exactly what I'm thinking about doing.

All,
I'll attempt to keep you updated with pics and bizarre questions about how to use some of these parts!

Daryl
MN

I would say No.1 should be the part stop...

Likely as many ways to set up as there are operators. I was always short on stations. So, the last station is the cut off. Then make a spacer exactly the length of your part. After cutoff, backup turret,insert spacer between turret and stop, loosen collet, push stock ahead, reclamp. You just made a station do two jobs.

You can use the same idea for all your "right on center" ops if you are out of stations. Put all your tools on a morse taper so they can be changed out quickly, then use spacers. Not real neat but better than chucking each part twice.

The hardest thing you will have to get in your mind is al the set ups have stops to set . If you have a cross slide to use with front and back cutter set ups. Bar feeder if equipped . You have to time them to the job. I spent a few years setting them and running them . They can really give you a work out if you have a quantity per hour need. Some of the cast iron jobs I had were dirty and the sump smell would make you want to hurl. Yupp keep them clean if you run the job wet.

Thanks for all the pointers!!
I'll be keeping them in mind as I wade through these Gisholt and W&S texts.
Looks like I'll need to fab, or purchase a crossfeed rear cut off.
I've got the specs. I should be able to cut one out of some large steel cubes I've got laying here.

I was planning to use a motor and pump that was used to drain fuel oil tanks prior to disposal, runs well! Thought I'd run rustlick. I've not been a fan of the water based stuff.
She lost her bar feeder before I got her. I don't know that she ever had collets. She is a D1-4. I've got a 4jaw and a 3jaw (I usually prefer the 4jaws).
She was reportedly originally used by the "welder" in Rogers MN for drilling and boring.
However, I've got nearly a complete set of 2J collets (pull type) I was thinking I might watch for a pick up Sjogren chuck. The 2j collets were in the pile with the turret tooling.
Perhaps I should sell of the 2Js and find some pull collets.... Hmmm. I'll do some price shopping.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Here is an example on my end of something I need now. I would plan on making them in runs of 30 to 50. For learning and Class theory time w/ you Mentors: How would you plan this in order of operations as an example (link to part below).
1) Outside turn: OD shape. Cross slide at a proper angle to run cutter in to shape slope.
2) Inside turn; Hollow out inner taper ID. Not sure on this one....
3) Drill- center hole.
4) Turn: Part cutoff tool. simple enough. Cross slide ( on opposite end) w/ parting cut off?

Guys- Not really sure on any of this. Just going by some things I've seen online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=S45...AgQ_AUoA2oVChMIvMKZ94n6xwIVCzg-Ch0rvAIv&dpr=1

some vids showing some neat setups:

To HM Moderators:
There seems to be some interest in this topic. Possibly growing?
Is this the best category?
Should "Production Machining" or "Turret Lathes" be a new category?
Likely way to early to make changes. But, please consider depending on where this goes.

More random thoughts.
Daryl
MN

Do have drawing you can post
I have owned and used turret lathes from 2 size up to a 5L Gisholt for over 30 years
They will out produce CNC on most type parts if tooled

Dave

Thanks for all the pointers!!
I'll be keeping them in mind as I wade through these Gisholt and W&S texts.
Looks like I'll need to fab, or purchase a crossfeed rear cut off.
I've got the specs. I should be able to cut one out of some large steel cubes I've got laying here.

I was planning to use a motor and pump that was used to drain fuel oil tanks prior to disposal, runs well! Thought I'd run rustlick. I've not been a fan of the water based stuff.
She lost her bar feeder before I got her. I don't know that she ever had collets. She is a D1-4. I've got a 4jaw and a 3jaw (I usually prefer the 4jaws).
She was reportedly originally used by the "welder" in Rogers MN for drilling and boring.
However, I've got nearly a complete set of 2J collets (push type) I was thinking I might watch for a pick up Sjogren chuck. The 2j collets were in the pile with the turret tooling.
Perhaps I should sell of the 2Js and find some pull collets.... Hmmm. I'll do some price shopping.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
"Do have drawing you post"

I'm unclear what you are asking?
Please clarify.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Back