Turret Riser for a PM935?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
There is a thread here on raising the turret of a Bridgeport mill and how to get it on the machine. These risers for BPs are evidently readily available. Watching the thread provided a glimpse into the relative ease of installing one.

I then began to ponder the addition of a riser to my PM935TV. I am imagining a 6" riser. I have wanted to raise the mill with a stand about 6" to 8" anyway and a riser would be a far better solution for me. Would increase the vertical capacity of the mill and generally raise the table for for most work.

Has anyone found a source for a Riser for the 935? Any owners out there put one on a PM935?

Last edited by a moderator:
The PM935 is said to be the same mill as the Modern 935VS. I remembering drooling over that Modern mill & when the PM935 came out I was excited. I remember someone installing a riser on their Modern mill.

Thanks Will, I searched without success. I too looked on Modern's website. I will send them a note and ask. I have also sent F350 a PM.

A few months back Matt indicated he didn't offer a riser on this thread and indicated why. Perhaps Matt will see this and add a little more insight.

I bought my riser from Modern Tool, where I'd bought the mill while living in Alberta. They are incredible to deal with. I called them up, gave them the serial number and they knew what I needed. Said if I wasn't in a rush they could put one on the next container from Taiwan at no charge. It got to Calgary, they called and said if I wasn't in a rush they had a truck going to their store in Toronto at no charge. Arrived in Toronto, again if your not in a rush the guy was driving to Ottawa in a week or so. Met him at his hotel. Free shipping from Taiwan to Ottawa Ontario.

Greg

Thanks for the insights Greg. Now to figure out the requirements for my PM935. There are indications that the machines are made in the same factory so I'm betting they are available somehow.

You have any photos of the details of yours and it going on? How is the spider configured on your mill?

Thanks again, very helpful.

Sorry Alan I don't remember much about the spider, just looked it was 5 years ago I installed it. I think there were lugs in the column casting that held it up till you got the bolts in.
Have a photo of the rig I had to use to balance it while I elevated it with the overhead crane.
N6MNNgvv_vSY5i9nqV9Hjb9FJkUQsLOzKfmmkanlVPxihSvvORnL9_a9hlDC2jdfiJ0OX4C7qEIZUr-jn5RPQd-cH4AmKwHFvhrlEfo7_ftTYCqD93CED1gV_6bL_cy2Oz2BRYmdO6haIEuUJrwVXT6JeWE1FXSTP27MlkBYkOOYRpFNgLflNz9UyNWzGm-TuHnoYtk8JWGyAvYTVnGPSf8H93Ne8nmLyUydtuTKkwn6VTaRATiYB9lYhJRrlAuZ9RVbLBAN0RIBHttZiC-84gVD2GCDW9bbZXRKCLNm60isce4aQNAkfy5KHsxVtx4A1O583vHVHtXONRu9t3VhpHEBmHVxg4pg-T3jaUEb3KNtrWbLXKmcLYzCfWobV0oIPif_MTPa96STVJfus0g2OatLtZ2rRN3RtQs-I-EQLr9E65oSHaiBOnmxdpeNaqxeZKBWVl382yLaD6soEpNStda29ZSXnn0ILw3Z9Qs2F3lvzkgIJq4J6Rti-Vzlv94JODwwfRuRs41QtO3s7ciSD_AxiISbeTWt7Ya2swIHhZ4rabCxruRNW5uIm_q9x617FfIs70Ylzg4fVQ-TIfhG0NEzypx21rtzWAkejXK1sujAAews6kOB=w1702-h1276-no

The riser was dirty from laying on the shop floor for a few years before I installed it. This is a 10 inch one. I like the height, but have to use an ER collet chuck to reach work clamped flat to the table. I also use the swivel now on the vice to gain some height, not a common problem. As I said I like it in there, the table is at a much more comfortable level to work.

Greg

Thanks Greg for the photo.

I didn't realize you added that much height. I have been thinking about 6" for my PM935 and have been wondering if that was about right.

The body of your machine looks larger that the PM935. I think the OD of a riser for the PM935 would be about 11.5" and yours appears to be a larger diameter than that. Is yours about 15" OD?

I'll measure it today Alan.
I've needed the full of the riser for a few operations. This is the body of a 10 inch inlet valve on a big rotary compressor. The pivots were worn, causing the gate to stick at times.
iFGlfqeFo_pq5UdcqSBZaRxUEHAj1vsPSUYGPZRxJJCw2UfGfhcdgWx_E7cTRdWR25hrtK6LvK598IxPLbm3_g-JcHtK5CWNAQSXoZP14m7wLy53C3D6zZQ6sH9BxvcWIyvvZutmcqdNVUT7aIrQxumHWzpgj_PfGqwfqdofg0U2zIIWI8lENoV42xEAM1RQxFYHiyqBSdoZsNq4J5dD1doUVPovcjEq-H5YHDjlAiz1LkdI2u0wTowJXB9HbjPwnFB8JnpwlxOPGjrK3SFd3M9JBfaa3dW25jB4wdz1HWZxhq5yBZPq7Ba0_voAkLQt3wTzFZUrwgUPcs4a2REGA9R0vnT_DhYDXmy0Zh2hQ7DMCTxsgtCqit97yNF77qvu9rZuOdV99J9AjL67y7Zp3nxnuKdvOgwCgvI3cS6tj9DB3k4rVsQPGbJn4we_zgW2AS7807JZDrWZBU_w7pilMWkyR2C721SCBgJl9r4FNOyDpSfARze5XnHvQn5oxwz5YQ8f2iZauBQxC5nbN2il0ya_YXaHwblxprFiog6ZPqZMrVYoTcSpPkX20U75QgrxM5W8UanSDa7iEzJKrRqv2U2_Hy6h9LpuhwCPth0IgbvtSQjR6v4O=w1671-h1253-no

On a side note, always wondered how they controlled the output of a rotary compressor. They don't, they shut off the inlet when air isn't required, that way the valve only has to handle atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi)

Greg

Thanks Greg, that rough measurement would be really helpful. (BTW, the famous red x showed up for the photo of the valve - Tapatalk?)

I really do expect that your measurement will confirm your mill has a larger stanchion/body than the PM935.

Ref. output of the rotary compressor, interesting isn't it? From a thermodynamic viewpoint it keeps the compressor from doing "work" and it is far more efficient that way.

Back