Tutorial on Trig.....Not

Not to be picky, but... yeah, well, okay... to be picky, it's Pythagorean Theorem, not theory. There is a difference. If we're gonna teach it, let's teach it right. ;)

Tom

Make it far more simple, give home machinists the trig calculations that are often used in the machine shop business. There are a limited number of functions that are relevant and will be useful to most.

Depth of a 60 Deg. v-thread to the theoretical sharp V for instance, .866 of the lead, you can not achieve this because no tool has a sharp corner.
However the math looks like this.

Sine of 60 Degrees = .866 per unit always, regardless of the unit used.
A 3/8-16 thread has a .0625" lead
.0625" X .866" = .0541". This yields a minor diameter of .267" which is well below the published diameter of .312" for a hole to be tapped, threads are not sharp vee forms, they have either a flat or radius at the creast or root.

You have a smart phone I suspect, it may well have a calculator that has Trig functions included. The phone may call it a scientific calculator.

If you need to calculate a taper in degrees and arrive at a start and finish diameter in units over a known length of the same units.

The Tangent of the angle will provide the answer.
The tangent of 3 degrees is .0524 per unit. If lathe work it will be an angle of 6 degrees included.
If you want to produce a 3 degree taper over a distance of 1 unit the finished end will be .0524 units smaller per unit, this is way simple to figure out.

The best way to remember SOHCAHTOA is to remember this saying,
Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid
It works because its funny to say in your head!
The first one completely loses me, 2nd one my ipad and android tablets can't open. Where does SOHCAHTOA come in to play here? Or is that about 30 lessons prior?

Back