Twisting Steel Stock Question

churchjw

Active User
Registered
I am needing to make a piece of twisted .375 cold rolled steel. Think like a fence picket. I need to do it cold and it needs to be as straight as I can get it. It will end up being about 15" long with 1:8 or so twist. I went by a local shop that does this kind of thing but the guy said he didn't have a holder that small but they usually just do it in their lathe. So my question is first would twisting stock like this in my lathe (obviously on the lowest speed) be safe on my lathe as far as not damaging the machine. I have a WT 13" x 40" Geared Head Lathe Second question has anyone done something like this and any tips?

Thanks,
Jeff

We're missing a dimension! Is the .375 the width, or the thickness?

mite be of some help I put any thing that needs twist in side of a pipe as close of a fit you can get put one end in a vice slide pipe over the medal to be twisted big wrench on the end sticking out of the pipe twist away and bingo much twist as you want to wind on in side piece gotogojo

You got any Wrought Iron shops or dealers near by?
Theres one close to me that has a dedicated machine to do that.
*****Just Saying******G******
P.S. I like the pipe idea but with that size it would take one heck of a lot of leverage.

+1 on tight fitting tube/pipe. One end of bar tight in vice, other end loose (so bar can slide) in BIG tap handle or homemade 'T' wrench. You could use s large crescent wrench with an additional opposed handle welded on.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan and gotogo is right. I have done it the way he explained and it works great you just have to count how many turns it takes to get what twist you want. thomas s

How straight is good enough? Are you talking high speed spindle straight, or picket fence straight. You want it "as straight as you can get it". With enough time and effort, you can get it pretty straight.

Don't sweat the details too much. Start with a piece longer than needed (the ends won't twist nice) - twist to your spiral, cut to length, straighten as needed.

Let us know how it works out.

I've seen a set up home made that had a receiver to hold one end an a head-stock not on like a lathe on the other. it used a fly wheel from a car and a motor with a gear on it to drive the head-stock it was able to do any number of twists that you needed. It was slick. If you only need a few you might try back gears on a lathe. It might get you enough torque to do it.

I have done this in a lathe, under power, BUT, the lathe had a minimum speed of 4 RPM, about a 24 inch swing, and a spindle clutch. Do not try this unless your lathe will turn very very slow. 10 RPM is too much.

OK, having said that: With 3/8 stock, you can chuck one end in a 4 jaw chuck, and hold the other end in the tool holder, put the head in neutral, and rotate the chuck with the chuck wrench by hand. If you need to, you can slip a snug-ish fitting length of pipe over the stock to help keep it straight. As you twist the stock it will get a bit shorter, but it will pull the carriage as it needs to.

Back