Twisting Steel Stock Question

Get a piece of tubing that your stock fits in semi snuggly, and is the length of your twist. Clamp it in a vice, lock some vicegrips on one end to keep itfrom spinning, then twist it on the other end with a large.crescent or stilsin wrench.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Thanks guys I think I will stick to doing this with a vice and wrench. I did not know the trick of putting it in a tube so that will be very helpful. I am using it to do something similar to rifling so not high speed spindle straight more like picket straight. I might also try the head stock in neutral idea. My lathe will not go nearly slow enough to be safe from what you guys posted. Thanks for the help I will post pics when I try it and see how it comes out.

I have done this. If you want as straight as possiable. You want the ends held fast. You do not want them to move in as you twist it. No pipe is needed. Yields a nice uniform twist. The cross section could shrink a little…Good Luck, Dave.

If your piece is long enough, you could clamp the work in the four jaw so it is protruding out the back of the headstock. Lock the spindle and use a large tap wrench to manually twist. 3/8" is not that big for such an operation providing your lathe is large enough. The close fitting pipe suggestion would keep the piece straight.

You may want to fully anneal you CRS bar. Cold rolled material may create cracks in the edges as it is being worked into the twist that you are making.
Ken

Back