Two Grand Old Gals

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
These two lathes are sitting out.side of a local business. They are under an overhang but otherwise exposed to the elements. The business is, of all things, a manufacturer of high end wood lathes

The lathes are a Bradford and a Rockford and look to have been made somewhere around the turn of the century (1900, not 2000). There is some information about the companies on the Vintage Machinery site.

Bradford Lathe .JPG

Rockford Lathe .JPG

The later 50s Bradford "Metalmaster"s were really something- very nice workmanship
Mark

RJ may I suggest that you take those two ole gals home for some TLC. They look like they helped us win the war.:D

So old lathe are now ‘garden art’.
Such a shame

Tozguy, which war are you referring to? could even be Spanish American.

A few things wrong with bringing them home; 1. I believe that the current owner views them as art and probably would want more than they're worth and 2. after I told my wife she couldn't have a puppy, I'm fairly sure that she would take a dim view if me bringing any new pets home, and 3. I don't have any place to put them, and 4. I don't really need to add any more projects to my plate.

Peter, yes it is a shame. At least if they had a fresh coat of paint.....

Actually, I know the owner. We worked at the same company for a short time.

If someone is seriously interested, I could ask him if he is interested in selling one or both. Be forewarned though, I doubt that he is strapped for cash as his business is growing rapidly and he had enough interest in them as "art objects" to haul them in from somewhere.

Back