Two old drill presses and a lathe

Topstrap

Registered
Registered
I've had these in the back of my shop for a few years now. I used to use both drill presses before I got a mill. I think the lathe has a broken or missing key but appears to be all there. I really need the space in the shop and don't want to scrap these old machines.

The larger press is nearly 8ft tall. It's a Lodge & Davis. I think it's nearly complete but don't know a lot about them. The large motor used to sit on the floor that used a large belt to turn the whole assembly.

lodge&davisplate.jpg lodge&davispress cluttered.jpg

The other is smaller, can't find a name on it. It has a smaller electric motor driving the larger belt system. There is also an old Pratt & Whitney lathe that never worked but might have a lot of parts for someone needing stuff for a restoration.

smallerpress2.jpg fullpicofsmallerpress.jpg

I'll try to clean out around the Lodge & Davis tomorrow to get pictures and measure the table. It has to be around 20 inches and 3 or 4 inches thick. This thing is massive and heavy but it would sure drill a nice large hole. Like to see them restored and used rather than scrapped but is taking up a lot of usable space in my shop.

I'm in Eastern Ohio about 15 miles from Wheeling WV right along I-70. Can load. Not sure of a value for each, I could use a metal cutting bandsaw either vertical or horizontal. Like trading, what you got?

Pratt & Whitney lathe.

prattwhitneylathe2.jpg

fullpicofsmallerpress.jpg

prattwhitneylathe2.jpg

Last edited:
You have some pretty nice old iron. Keep and restore them for your self.
Dave Richards on YouTube has a large drill press like yours powered by a steam engine.
Cheers
Martin

That PW lathe is sweet. You really need to hold on to that and get it going again. That's one of the lathes that I always watch for. Some day one will come down the pike. Good Luck

Back