• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Two old drill presses and a lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Topstrap

Swarf
Registered
I've had these in the back of my shop for a few years now. I used to use both drill presses before I got a mill. I think the lathe has a broken or missing key but appears to be all there. I really need the space in the shop and don't want to scrap these old machines.

The larger press is nearly 8ft tall. It's a Lodge & Davis. I think it's nearly complete but don't know a lot about them. The large motor used to sit on the floor that used a large belt to turn the whole assembly.

lodge&davisplate.jpg lodge&davispress cluttered.jpg

The other is smaller, can't find a name on it. It has a smaller electric motor driving the larger belt system. There is also an old Pratt & Whitney lathe that never worked but might have a lot of parts for someone needing stuff for a restoration.

smallerpress2.jpg fullpicofsmallerpress.jpg

I'll try to clean out around the Lodge & Davis tomorrow to get pictures and measure the table. It has to be around 20 inches and 3 or 4 inches thick. This thing is massive and heavy but it would sure drill a nice large hole. Like to see them restored and used rather than scrapped but is taking up a lot of usable space in my shop.

I'm in Eastern Ohio about 15 miles from Wheeling WV right along I-70. Can load. Not sure of a value for each, I could use a metal cutting bandsaw either vertical or horizontal. Like trading, what you got?

Pratt & Whitney lathe.

prattwhitneylathe2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You have some pretty nice old iron. Keep and restore them for your self.
Dave Richards on YouTube has a large drill press like yours powered by a steam engine.
Cheers
Martin

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That PW lathe is sweet. You really need to hold on to that and get it going again. That's one of the lathes that I always watch for. Some day one will come down the pike. Good Luck

[6]
[5] [7]