Two Piece Mill Vise

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking at making a two piece mill vise to handle larger parts on my mini-mill (PM25) than I can't get in my Kurt vise.

I've seen a few designs. One design by This Old Tony that looks like it might be a bit large for my mini-mill and has more pieces to it, but seems very solid. I could probably scale it down a bit.

Another design that looks promising is by Blondihacks which is one piece, but doesn't seem it would be as solid and has limited range.

Neither design seems to offer a down force.

Harold Hall has some designs incorporated into a T-nut, but this design allows clamping in one direction (along the X axis). His designs do provide a down force which I like.

So, who has two piece mill vises and what do you like and dislike about them? Recommendations? Is a down force required?

My machinist friend left me with two pair of these ERON sets. Maybe the photos will help you fabricate some.
These are pretty worn in the Acme thread area. P1020811.JPGP1020810.JPG
The design might give some down pressure but I have not had an occasion to try them out yet.
They are called ERON PV-1.

Check out MrPragmaticLee aka tin barn time, on U-tube. He has a series of detailed and entertaining videos on the construction of a simple two piece vise just the right size for a mid sized bench mill. Don't forget a write up with pictures!

I was thinking about a two piece vise like Rudy K but ended up getting a selection of TeCo toe clamps off eBay. They have served me well even though they were well used. But I got a huge range of them for less than what one new toe clamp would cost. By their design they are all down clamp. So much so they can easily mar the work. I like that not only is the jaw a “ramp”, but the slot that the table clamp bolt goes through is angled causing more downward force into the table as the jaw is tightened. Very handy.

Attachments

• E273B19F-1ECD-4922-8E9A-CB469D770C97.jpeg
    E273B19F-1ECD-4922-8E9A-CB469D770C97.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Thanks. I'll look into all these designs.

I was thinking about a two piece vise like Rudy K but ended up getting a selection of TeCo toe clamps off eBay.

Hmmm. I'm trying to find your reference to "Rudy K". Could you point me in the right direction?

Rudy Kouhoupt. His vid on his shaper with his 2pc vise is one of the first ones on YouTube I watched on the shaper. It’s since been taken down :(.

Here's mine. It began life as a vertical vise modification to a large angle plate, then revealed itself to also be a 2-piece table vise. I didn't really concern myself with down-force and have not encountered any problems with that issue. Parts clamped below the center line of the screw experience natural down-force due to the slight tilt of the moving jaw.

WP_20200112_12_57_09_Pro.jpgWP_20200112_13_04_28_Pro.jpg

Very nice design. I like it.

What did you use for guide rods? They look like socket cap screws or is that drill rod?

What the approximate dimensions? Is that an Acme thread on the main screw?

Very nice design. I like it.
What did you use for guide rods? They look like socket cap screws or is that drill rod?
What the approximate dimensions? Is that an Acme thread on the main screw?
Thanks, it sort of took shape on the fly. The dimensions were dictated by the angle plate.
The guide rods are socket-head shoulder screws that I had on hand, running in bronze bushings.
The jaws are 1" thick, the fixed jaw is 3 x 7.25, the moving jaw is 2 x 6
Yes, that is a 1/2-10 Acme threaded rod.

Back