Two Things Going On With My Pm-45 Mill

woodrowm

Active User
Registered
I have had my PM-45 mill for about 3 years now and it has been great. I now have two problems that I hope someone can help me with.

1. I have trammed my mill about 3 or 4 times with great success but this time around is not that good. What I noticed was that when I loosen the three bolts the head will nod about 15 to 20 thou. ( did not notice this before) so when I get the nod trammed and then tram the side to side the nod is out and vice versa. Is there something that I am missing.
2. My mill started leaking around the spindle a few months back and I replace the seals (as per the thread that Ray C did) and that stopped it for a while and now it has really started to leak (about a drop a minute). What else could cause a leak like that.

Thanks,
Woodrow

What is your tramming procedure? I'm not sure how much my nod drops off when I loosen the nuts because I always re-tighten to check the alignment. I would recommend checking your tilt with everything snug, slightly loosen, adjust, re-tighten and re-check. Continue this process until your tilt is acceptable.

Then check your nod with everything still tight. If it's out, you'll have to shim your column if it's not adjustable on your machine.

I'm anxious to hear what others have to say about your leak issue. My 932m has a slight leak as well. Matt promptly sent me a replacement set of seals, but I haven't had the chance to swap them out yet.

Thats normal for it to nod when you loosen the bolts, keep them pretty snug though, and just tap it side to side as needed.

As far as the oil though, the only thing it could be is those seals, although usually when someone replaces them, they are good for a long long time. But thats the only way oil can get to the spindle, is through those seals

Back