Two Timer Build

Sorry Tim but I don't make or use plans for most of my builds.

Thanks for the kind words

Ray
At least for us mortals indoctrinated in “it’s too complicated and you’re stupid” there is still hope. Thanks for showing it is still possible. I have been looking on and off for a simple 2 stroke engine design howto,since its technology from 1890’s and could not find anything. info seems to have vanished. You managed to make a 4 stroke that is more complicated.

At least for us mortals indoctrinated in “it’s too complicated and you’re stupid” there is still hope. Thanks for showing it is still possible. I have been looking on and off for a simple 2 stroke engine design howto,since its technology from 1890’s and could not find anything. info seems to have vanished. You managed to make a 4 stroke that is more complicated.
More complicated as in more parts, but porting and timing a 2-stroke is arguably the finer art of the two.

More complicated as in more parts, but porting and timing a 2-stroke is arguably the finer art of the two.
But technically is the easiest one to build if there where templates somewhere for people to start, and the gratification of making an engine is enormous

I agree, it takes a lot of hands-on experience to spin your own ideas like Ray did here.

There are a lot of plans and support out there for building model engines. There are resources on this site, and others dedicated to those projects. If you are looking for some plans and a bill of materials to get started, take a journey through our member's projects. The discussions unfold and resources are typically shared.

I agree, it takes a lot of hands-on experience to spin your own ideas like Ray did here.

There are a lot of plans and support out there for building model engines. There are resources on this site, and others dedicated to those projects. If you are looking for some plans and a bill of materials to get started, take a journey through our member's projects. The discussions unfold and resources are typically shared.

This site is amazing . I have barely scratched the surface here. I will dive here head to toe. I am learning freecad too “visualize my ideas” so they will go hand in hand.

V
I may be able to answer some of the questions with the following pictures.
Robert I think this is what you were referring to.
I made two cast iron cylinder liners and installed them in the block. They are a light press fit with sealant all around the liners through the aluminum.

View attachment 382744
View attachment 382745

And here it is after decking top and bottom.
View attachment 382746

As you can see when the side plate is installed the water cavity in the block is completely sealedup except for inlet and outlet pipes..

Cadillac I couldn't think of any way to water cool the head so it will have cooling fins. I think that will be enough.

Thanks for looking

Ray
Very interesting project. I will stay tuned for updates.

After I finished my crankshaft build last week I asked for ideas of an engine to build around it. There were no replies except for this.

Yes thank you Robert I was thinking along those lines myself.

I don't know what this engine will turn out to look like but I want to show off the crankshaft so area will be open.
I want to try my hand at water cooling the block using a radiator of some sort with a pump.
The stroke is already set at 1.500 and a bore of 1" is easy to work with so that is settled.
What about a timing belt instead of gears?
Maybe paint it red.
That where I am at now.

I started off with a block of aluminum and whittled it down to about the right size.
View attachment 382683

I milled the holes for the two piston sleeves with a lip around one end for the sleeve to bottom out against.
View attachment 382684

Size comparison with the crank.
View attachment 382685

Now I usually don't make any drawings but I could see some problems already with the cylinder head bolts and the intake ports so I drew this up.
View attachment 382690

Now that doesn't tell you much but from that I am able to see where all the cylinder head bolts will go and if I have enough clearance for the intake and exhaust ports.
The hottest part of the cylinder liners I would think would be in the first 1 1/2" from TDC. I milled a slot 1" X 1 1/2" X 3" deep in the side of the block so that the water could circulate all around the liners. This slot will be covered with an aluminum plate that has the inlet water connection toward the bottom.
View attachment 382691

And a couple of more pictures.
View attachment 382692View attachment 382693View attachment 382695

While I was at it I drilled and tapped the head bolt locations.
View attachment 382694

I have never made an actively cooled block or head so I don't know how this will end up.
I am open to suggestions.

If you like what you see then leave a comment or at least give me a like.

Thanks for looking

Ray
Wounderful work

Back