Two Timer Build

Thank you TwinDad I am thinking on another engine build for the near future.

Ray

This was an awesome and inspiring build. I just randomly clicked on some picture of a crankshaft, and found this nice little treasure trove. Nice contrast to spending all day squinting at stuff so tiny I'm going to have to get one of those magnifying visors. I've seen people build very impressive engines that ran on air to make all the parts whiz around, but this is the first time I ever saw somebody build a working internal combustion edge from scratch. (Edge. Seriously? I can't even blame it on auto-correct or bad speech recognition, because I'm TYPING!) Engine. I really like how you designed it, too.

Let me know if you need help fighting off all the people who show up at your house for autographs.

Just read through the entire thread. Really really cool. This is a goal of mine and one reason I started becoming interested in lathe/mills (coming from a car enthusiast background). Maybe one day I’ll get there. Build thread like these spur me on to keep going and learning, so thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you dewbane and Ben 17484 for the kind words and the interest in my build.
Just do the best job you can with each project and you will be amazed at how each one gets better.
I have built 8 engines now and with each one I learn something new.
Ray

Many things got in the way of progress but the build is on the move again.

That quote from rwm has had me thinking and the intake manifold I had built was kind of ugly and took up a lot of room so I came up with a new design.

View attachment 390375

View attachment 390376

I used an aluminum plate that bolts to the bottom of the head with a gasket and holes drilled in it that line up with the intake ports. The 1/8" pipe plugs close the off the two holes I drilled to intersect the intake ports. The carburetor port was drilled the length to intersect the far pipe plug hole. It is not real fancy but it works fine and shortens the over all distance from the carb to the intake valves by almost two inches. I had to move the gas tank forward and flip it around to get enough room for the carb.

My good friend Chris has modified a couple of R/C carbs for me. He is trying to get the venturi size smaller to closer match these engines and not the 10,000 rpm they were designed for.
We have been doing some tests with them and so far we haven't had a total success but we are still looking at different approaches and haven't given up.
The carb on the engine now is a stock one that has worked fairly well for some of my other models.

I may have a video of the engine running in the next couple of days if things work out.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Last edited:
New member here, but whilst perusing your shop, I see a rather large fan in the background. You stated you were making a work horse but never defined what kind of work horse. I myself being from farm country and all, seem to remember horses as being animals which were ridden, so that being the case, I think you might want to try incorporating that fan into this build. I see several options here with this combination. The first thing that pops up in my head is a parasail. Not the big bulky three wheeled buggy kind, but the ones you just strap on your back and go. Another idea would be an air boat, suitable for swamps, rivers and the flats here in West Florida. Or you could just scrap the fan idea and make something exciting with it, like a cabbage grater for making Sauer Crap (I think I spelled that correctly). ...Or maybe a jacuzzi bubbler. The applications seem to be endless. Wait! This build was probably over months ago, so I'm just wasting my breath. Oh well. As a new member I'm required to make three unlinked comments so really there's no harm done. However, if happen to read this and decide to repurpose your motor because of these wonderfully, ingenious ideas, feel free to do so. He'll, I won't even charge you. ...fr any of

Last edited:
Have you seen a lister type 12/2 engine? I have one of those and it has a 120 degree crank just like this and two big flywheels on each side.

truly amazing build. Went through the pages in a heartbeat to see if it was finished. I don’t want to sound stupid but is there any papers on how one might make a similar one.
again amazing skills.
congratulations

Sorry Tim but I don't make or use plans for most of my builds.

Thanks for the kind words

Ray

Back