Two Timer Build

rogerl

Registered
Registered
Ray:
The motor is looking good. Years ago my dad built a 4 cylinder opposed engine. The engine had water cooled heads. There was no water pump it used gravity to cool the engine. He had a coffee can that he put the water in. The gravity circulation kept the motor cool. So I think if you have any water flowing out of the water pump I think you will be fine. Make your tubes as big as possible.

Thanks
Roger L

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I agree Roger and I will probably try the water tank first so see how it works.

Some good news and some bad news.
First the good
The engine does run but not very well.
The water pump does work and moves a respectable amount of water but it does leak around the shaft. I have a plan for a shaft seal that I will work on later.
The water leaks into the #2 combustion chamber.

Yes water coming out of the #2 exhaust stack and of course the engine stopped.
I had to completely dissemble the entire engine to get to the bare block.
This first picture shows the cylinder block as it was when removed from the engine.
IMG_0378.JPG
The shows how the blade of this small screw driver gets caught on the edge of the liner. The liner was 0.003 lower than the block face and I remember something about this months back when I first decked the block but I told myself then that the gasket would make up the difference. Well that is not true if the liner is lower than the face adding a thicker gasket won't help.
IMG_0380.JPG

I removed 0.010 from the deck with the face mill.
IMG_0382.JPG

And the result.
IMG_0381.JPG

Now to reassemble the engine with a new gasket.
Problem solved.

Thanks for looking
Ray

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock