Two Timer Build

Design change
I didn't like where the carburetor was sitting as it was causing several problems with other things. I moved it out in front of the engine and tipped it up 90 degrees. That allows me to make a larger round gas tank and now the carb adjustment screws more accessible. Thinking about a throttle arm to be mounted along the right side of the engine.
Do you have any suggestions?

I made and polished up a side cover for the engine. Eventually there will be a water fitting somewhere on the plate but I don't know where yet.
I also anchored the spark plug cables so they wouldn't interfere with the push rods when the engine is running.
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

As always you're making it a work of art

I am not sure it is a work of art but thank you for saying so anyway.

Big day today but only one picture.
Started with a piece of 1 1/2" diameter aluminum tubing and made a gas tank. The ends are plexiglass that are glued and pressed into the tube.
Brass standoffs with polished brass straps and an oversize knurled screw on brass cap. I like to see the gas level in the tank and this style has worked well for me in the past.

IMG_0344.JPG

I also turned the carb inlet around so it would line up better with the tank.
The throttle is next.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I have the throttle sorted out and working fine. In the past I have left the throttle to chance and some of my creations weren't so neat so I spent some extra time on this one.
IMG_0346.JPG

Have any of you made a water pump before?
There is very little information and few examples of pumps for models on the net. Most that I found made their pumps to fit in the end of the cylinder block like on some cars.

Well here goes we will see what I come up with and maybe it will work.
First I made the impeller and mounted it on a 3/16" shaft.
The impeller is 0.750 in diameter which was a wild guess and it looked about the right size.
IMG_0353.JPG

I made a square housing and added two rubber sealed bearings to fit and shortened the shaft.
IMG_0362.JPG

It fits in the housing really nice.
IMG_0364.JPG

I made the end plate with a ridge that fits inside the housing to close up the gap between the impeller and the cover. I don't know if that was necessary but I have nothing to go by.
As you can see from the picture the outlet pipe will screw into the square housing hole and the inlet pipe screws into the round cover hole.
IMG_0366.JPG

I wish my radiator would get here it is lost somewhere in Illinois.

Thanks for looking
Ray

How did you sculpt the impeller???

Robert I have a RF30 mill I made into a CNC machine that I use for parts that I can't make on the manual machines. I used a 0.0625 end mill to cut the vanes in the end of a 3/4" piece of brass then I did the rest in the lathe.

Thanks for asking

Ray

I did a couple of tests on the water pump today using an electric drill and at 1500 rpms the pump head is about 6". That translates to an engine rpm of 500 as the pump is at a 3 to 1 ratio. The water doesn't just squirt out but there is a respectable flow for the line size. I don't know how much water flow I will need but the fact that it even pumps is good news.
I made fittings for all the water ports and gaskets for the pump and the cylinder side plate.
IMG_0370.JPG

I think I have the pump shaft sealed but until I can flood the pump and run it I won't know for sure.
IMG_0372.JPG

I made up some exhaust stacks from copper and I think I will leave them the copper color. They don't look to bad now and should look even better when they are polished.
IMG_0373.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I made a pulley and a mounting plate for the water pump today. I made the pulley smaller then what I had first decided so now the speed ratio is 4 to 1 revolution of the crankshaft.
Also hooked up the water pump outlet pipe.
Couple of pictures
IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Still no news on the radiator it is relaxing in Illinois.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Curious what the flow rate of that pump will be. Also, will the cooling water get hot enough to make tea?

A really good question Robert but I have no idea.
This is kind of going to be a test as I have no previous knowledge to rely on.
The pump may be too small or the tubing may be too restrictive.
Or maybe I am way off in my thinking.
Ray

Back