Two Timer Build

Ray:
The motor is looking good. Years ago my dad built a 4 cylinder opposed engine. The engine had water cooled heads. There was no water pump it used gravity to cool the engine. He had a coffee can that he put the water in. The gravity circulation kept the motor cool. So I think if you have any water flowing out of the water pump I think you will be fine. Make your tubes as big as possible.

Thanks
Roger L

I agree Roger and I will probably try the water tank first so see how it works.

Some good news and some bad news.
First the good
The engine does run but not very well.
The water pump does work and moves a respectable amount of water but it does leak around the shaft. I have a plan for a shaft seal that I will work on later.
The water leaks into the #2 combustion chamber.

Yes water coming out of the #2 exhaust stack and of course the engine stopped.
I had to completely dissemble the entire engine to get to the bare block.
This first picture shows the cylinder block as it was when removed from the engine.
IMG_0378.JPG
The shows how the blade of this small screw driver gets caught on the edge of the liner. The liner was 0.003 lower than the block face and I remember something about this months back when I first decked the block but I told myself then that the gasket would make up the difference. Well that is not true if the liner is lower than the face adding a thicker gasket won't help.
IMG_0380.JPG

I removed 0.010 from the deck with the face mill.
IMG_0382.JPG

And the result.
IMG_0381.JPG

Now to reassemble the engine with a new gasket.
Problem solved.

Thanks for looking
Ray

While reassembling the engine and test running I have found several items I want to repair or replace before going any further.
I was in too much of a hurry and quality control got out of hand. This will take some time but I want the engine to be as good as I can make it when finished.
I will be back soon.
Ray

Ray, I haven't had anything to say, because I am a newbie, but wow just WOW! What a great project and execution. "Debugging" is always a drag, but I can't wait to see the next steps. Good luck and thank you for sharing.

Chris L.

thank you Chris L. for the kind words.
Today I removed both of the cast iron cylinder sleeves to reseal them. Next I will check the water jacket area for leaks using compressed air. If that holds good then I will continue to the pistons.

Ray

Well the sealant that I used did not hold so I read the label ( should have done that first) and it said that it would remain tacky. I wanted a sealer that would remain in place and seal against water leaks. I have used the Permatex red gasket maker in the past and it has worked fine but I thought that this time I should try something different. I should have known better so I resealed the cylinder liners with red gasket maker and I am going to wait a few days for it to set up before I pressure test them.

I leave on a cruise in two days so not much will get done for a while but don't give up on me I will be back and get this engine running.

thanks
Ray

Nice project! Just a shot in the dark, if it helps. I once saw a marinized Spad air-cooled 4 cyl. engine. It had a copper water jacket fastened along its edges with a million :eagerness: (?) or so brass roundhead screws. I wonder if milled recesses for water circulation with cover plates would be enough cooling for your motor.

Dave W

Well I am back from my cruise and ready to get back in the shop. I have another mayor project to work on so I will divide my time between the engine and making a new lawn mower. I will start a new thread on the mower soon.

Dave the red gasket maker has sealed the cylinder sleeves so no more leaks but your idea was interesting and may be something for a closer look.

Ray

Ray:
You know that Home Depot and Lowes sell Lawn Mowers. You do not need to make one yourself. :)

Roger L

I am dying to see that! Will you build the motor?
Robert

Back