Typical Job In The Shop

Ray C

Registered
Registered
So, here's a typical kind of job I get. I've never done this particular modification before but this was a fun little knock-out that took a very short time to do. This is a boat component. The top one is a finished piece and the bottom unit is typical of what I was starting from. The original piece does not have enough lip or flange protrusion and it damages the hulls of the vessel over time. This is all 316 stainless so what I did was make rings of the customer-specified diameter and TIG them to the originals. The customer wanted a "sleek" profile so this is what I gave him.

ThruHull3.JPG

Here's the TIG work. It has to be done in an argon flood tank and when doing the torch work, I made custom aluminum blocks to suck-up the heat. The plasma was hot and super-tiny pin-point and I move the rod in as fast as I can go. I keep a thermal gun and measure temperature and never let the part get above 250 F. I'm also using 316 filler rod. This way, the stainless does not transform and it will stay stable when immersed in sea water. If these things fail someone's $1,000,000.00 (not kidding, ONE MILLION) yacht will sink. -And this is why you carry insurance.

ThruHull2.JPG

A close-up of the finished work. Although not shown, the weld cap is cleaned-up off the back side. This was one of 5 pieces and I also made custom backing washers for the ring nut. The little screw on the ring nut is a grounding terminal to prevent corrosion and also aid in providing an "Earth Ground" for the vessel's electrical system.

ThruHull4.JPG

Ray

ThruHull2.JPG ThruHull3.JPG ThruHull4.JPG

Nice little job. Looks like you found one of your little niches at the boat yard.

:))

Lookin good Ray!!!! and those will never fail on a glass boat since they have a good flange now... Congrats on finding a niche'

Bob

Thanks for the nice words and encouragement guys...

Niche... well, kinda. I've picked-up quite a bit more work from different customers in the last week. -A couple are long term and mainly custom repair work but not in the boat world.

Some of it I can post and some I cannot. I'm going to talk to Tony and Nelson et.al to see if they're OK with me posting it. It's pretty much high-risk and needs inspections and insurance etc...

Ray

Dang Ray, that is beautiful!

Are those threads ground?

Bernie

Dang Ray, that is beautiful!

Are those threads ground?

Bernie

They all looked cut. Of all the fixtures I modified, some were brand new and some were original from the vessel. They put an adhesive on there to seal it up and if the adhesive gets in the threads, the fixture gets destroyed when removing them.

FYI: Here's the galley on one of the vessels I was working on... -Not too shabby...

Ray

go-pro completed corian counter 11 (1024x725).jpg

Fantastic looking piece. I need more jobs that require being TIG'd...I'm getting rusty and wasn't that good to start with. Those are some mangled threads on the original piece!

On a side note- Think of all the machining goodness and CNC fantasticness that 1 million could be spent on apposed to a yacht!

We need the million dollar yacht people to support us little people! It's all a part of the economic eco-system.....$$$ makes the world go around!:))

Marcel

I've had less fancy gallies in my own apartments!

Looks really good. Is that going below the water line? I've used 5200 to seal stuff like that on my boats in the past and I agree that it is a pain to remove, but I bet the fiberglass would give before that stainless part does.

looks good!

Chris

Back