U.S. Machine Tool Company, Vertical Milling Machine, Model V, rehab help needed

gkbikers

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone.

About a month ago, I purchased the mill in the title, Model "V". It was one of those "pig in a poke" kind of buys. I could look, but I could NOT see it run as it was not hooked up and the seller would not go to the trouble; they were about to send it to scrap. It was in rough condition. But, it was a local purchase and only about 15 miles from my home. So, I took a chance.

Here is what I've learned so far:

The Good Stuff on this machine:
- appears to have an R8 spindle.
- has the four speed gearbox in addition to the step pulleys.
- has the power downfeed option
- has the mount for the motorized gearbox and motor, BUT ALAS, no gearbox or motor came with it. Prior owner has no knowledge of this
machine's history.

The Challenges:
The ram is stuck. On another forum, the suggestion is to open the access door, spray the inside of the ram arm with WD40 and then begin working it loose. The poster has the same machine as mine, says his was far worse, and he has done a total rebuild. So, he gave me some hope! :)
The motor may or may not run, but the pulley mounted to the motor is wobbly when it is hand-spun and it also goes up and down. Not Good.
The front pulley (over the cutter head) has a damaged groove on the bottom; it has a chip in it.
The coolant pump is history

So, if anyone here knows anything about this machine, I'm all ears. Suggestions about the step pulleys (replacement or repair), freeing the ram, motor alternatives (if the motor shaft is bent or the bearings are shot), etc., etc. are welcome.

Thanks for your interest and assistance.

gkbikers

I would like to see some pictures of MillRite. I have got a e-manuel for my machine, I will attach it for you maybe you can use it.
Nelson Collar

You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. May the Lord Direct Your Steps
"When injustice becomes law - resistance becomes duty."

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I've been preoccupied for the last couple of months.

Here's a pic of my machine and a picture of a similar machine in better condition:

Burke.Milling..jpg

Burke.Milling.Original.Color.jpg Burke.Milling..jpg

gkbikers, I just joined and what do I see but another U.S Machine mill like mine. Mine is a model VT . Have it up and running now for a short time, just getting use to it. It has brown& sharpe #9 taper, so tooling has been an adventure. I now have a full set of tool holders and collets. I am now waiting on the new vise to show up from ENCO. I also have the original set up paper work the manual and lub chart.

DSC00254.JPG

gkbikers, I just joined and what do I see but another U.S Machine mill like mine. Mine is a model VT . Have it up and running now for a short time, just getting use to it. It has brown& sharpe #9 taper, so tooling has been an adventure. I now have a full set of tool holders and collets. I am now waiting on the new vise to show up from ENCO. I also have the original set up paper work the manual and lub chart.

Hi Kilroy. Our machines appear to be the very same. Mine is in Much Worse condition than yours. It will probably require a complete tear-down and rebuild. This biggest problem, at least at this point, is that the ram will not feed through the base. It is rusted solid. Hopefully, when I hook power to it, the motor will run and the spindle will operate properly. If not, I may just sell it for parts. I would rather have it working though.

Congrats on your purchase. Please let us know how it runs.

gkbikers

gkbiker
I've seen you pics and I thought I replyed but I remember my computor crashed that night. The MillRite I have is a Model MV. I uploaded a pic of a fine machine like mine, but I'm not finished with mine. Under-Construction.
Nelson Collar

You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. May the Lord Direct Your Steps
"When injustice becomes law - resistance becomes duty."

Hi Nelson.

Your machine is a beauty. Maybe mine will look as good someday (if I keep it!). Great job.

gkbikers.

Mine is a different model but similar to yours. When I got mine it was missing a few parts. The pulley cover, a handwheel and knob on the quill power feed "stuff". I found a new cog belt and the power feed works but thought it would be good to get the proper control knobs and wheels.

Misc 9-2011 039.jpg Misc 9-2011 040.jpg

Thought I would show where my mill ended up. Got it in position and running with new tooling and lights. I must say it probably thinks its retired like me with the amount out work it is asked to do.

DSC00267.JPG DSC00268.JPG DSC00269.JPG DSC00271.JPG

Nice setup. What type of collets are you using?

bonneblktrk: They are just ebay specials, the tool holders also, I got tired of trying to find them one at a time. B&S #9s are not very plentiful, don't know years span they were popular. These seem to be good quality, haven't used them that much and for home shop use they will be OK. Makes it nice when you can just reach and pick the one you need for the job at hand. NOW I just need more tools to put in them.

Back