VN Ugly dog- did U ever make a VN overarm support?

Reeltor,
From the pics it appears as thought there was decent penetration on the patch!
We definitely need the split and the three bolts.
Carefully fitted to the overarm works well.
I made one for my VN6 out of CRS.
Started to make one for the VN22LU. I'll need free fall hoist or engine lift to mount it if made out of CRS.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

Wouldn't you mount the "New" "B" support on the arm, eyeball it with the center of the spindle and then drill it out on the mill set in horizontal position? Moving progressively larger until you need to use a boring head? An "A" support would only need a hole large enough for the bearing to press fit.
I have a hard time lifting these aluminum supports into place. I couldn't imagine one out of CRS or cast iron. A crane or hoist of some type would be a necessity!!!

Photos of repair as requested, I don't think you can build one without the split line. You would have a hard time getting it on/off and adjusting the ("B") support where you need it on the arbor.
Good luck and post some photos.

View attachment 234968

View attachment 234969

Thanks Reeltor! My use of the word split was about the welded repair (not the factory housing split). I'm working on my communication skills. Weld looks good to me. I can see where misunderstanding the function of the center bolt could lead to this failure. I do believe a beginner was determined & strong to make that break.

Back